How to apply
Once you’ve identified a joint PhD project that you’re interested in, you can apply to the Jerusalem - Melbourne Joint PhD (JM -JPhD).
To apply for a joint PhD opportunity in the Jerusalem - Melbourne Joint PhD (JM - JPhD), follow these steps.
1. Identify a project you are interested in from the available opportunities.
2. Make sure you meet the admission criteria of both the University of Melbourne and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. These criteria include the minimum entry requirements and English language requirements.
All faculties have additional requirements for applicants. Projects in the Jerusalem - Melbourne Joint PhD are carried out in one of five faculties. Check that you meet the admission criteria of the relevant faculty:
- Faculty of Engineering and IT
- Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry, and Health Sciences
Please also view the Hebrew University of Jerusalem's admissions, policy and relevant regulations here.
3. Email the project supervisor at the University of Melbourne. Their contact details are included at the bottom of the project description.
Include the following in your email:
- Your name and contact details
- The title of the joint PhD project of interest
- A cover letter explaining your interest in the project
- Your CV
- Your university transcripts
- Any additional supporting documentation (if required).
The supervision team will consider your documentation and advise you on the next steps.
Diversity and inclusion
We are firmly committed to the principles of Diversity and Inclusion, and all applications will be evaluated relative to prior opportunities. Workplace accommodations for people with a disability can be raised prior to the application through a direct email to the supervisors or discussed with short-listed candidates during the interview phase. Candidates from underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged to apply.
All joint PhD candidates admitted to this program have access to a scholarship package (that provides a living allowance, health insurance, and relocation support) for 3.5 years with the possibility of a 6-month extension. All joint PhD candidates receive waivers of their tuition fees at both institutions for the duration of their candidature.
Propose your own PhD project
We welcome ideas for new joint PhD projects, in addition to those already advertised. All joint PhD projects must be carried out with one of the University’s partner institutions. Note that the normal application process will apply.
For more information on proposing joint PhD projects, and a list of our joint PhD partner institutions, visit the Joint PhDs page.
If you have questions about the joint PhD program or the application process, contact us.
First published on 31 August 2022.
Share this article
International PhD opportunities
Discover the fully funded Joint PhD opportunities that are currently available with universities and research institutions around the world.
Find a supervisor or research project
Discover how to find a supervisor and learn how they can support your graduate research, or search available research projects.
Your research options
Explore your options as a graduate researcher at the University of Melbourne.
Life as a researcher
Read the stories of current and past graduate researchers. Find out about their experiences at the University and where their degrees have taken them.