3 Minute read
The Melbourne Data Analytics Platform provides University of Melbourne researchers with data analytics, data science, software engineering and data stewardship support to enhance their research impact.
We help researchers develop the necessary tools and resources for navigating this fast-paced era of data analytics.
We are a team of Research Data Specialists working to enable data-intensive research across disciplines. We also assist with computation and infrastructure needs.
For example, we have recently worked with:
- Dr Alexei Trundle, in partnership with the City of Melbourne and the Connected Cities Lab, to develop an evidence-based framework for localising and embedding the UN Sustainable Development Goals in the city’s long-term strategic planning processes
- Dr Benjamin Hegarty to investigate the processes and practices of data collection and data use in efforts to prevent and treat HIV in Indonesia among vulnerable populations, with a focus on community-driven data initiatives
- Dr Aaron Dodd to explore a range of options for improving the performance of a model. This included how the dispersal of organisms is modelled, how the model is encoded, how computer resources are utilised, and how the resulting data is stored.
Our team is experienced in a diverse range of disciplines. We have expertise in:
- research study design
- data management
- data stewardship
- high-performance and cloud computing
- data analysis
- machine learning
- computing infrastructure
- natural language processing
- image and video processing
- virtual/augmented reality
- data visualisation
- web development
- community building
- data collection methods.
We offer two primary streams of engagement:
- Collaboration: an allocation scheme for formal collaborative research projects lasting at least 3–9 months, with an annual open call for applications.
- Consultancy, expert advice, advocacy and involvement in shorter-term research projects.
Collaborations, advice and consultancy are offered free-of-charge to University of Melbourne researchers and graduate researchers.
The platform can be used in conjunction with:
Further information can also be found on the Research Gateway, which is available to all University of Melbourne academic and honorary staff, graduate researchers and professional staff. Please note, to access the Research Gateway, you will need to login with your University of Melbourne username and password.
- Andrew Siebel
- +61 3 8344 0707
Banner image: View of the earth at night from space