Connecting researchers with powerful, cutting-edge virtual desktops, servers and high performance computing platforms, data storage and management systems to accelerate discovery and make innovations possible.
We help you find the best options for creating, analysing, collecting and managing your data and provide support to use our platforms and systems.
We operate and manage the University’s research computing infrastructure. Our on-campus services include a range of computational and associated data storage environments to support your research requirements. We can help you with:
- High performance computing
- Large-scale computing
- Cloud computing
- Artificial intelligence and machine-learning applications
- Data analytics
- Data storage and security
- Data retention and recoverability
- Preparation of data for delivery to external partners
- Expert advice and consulting.
- More than 9000 cores of high-performance central processing unit (CPU) computing platform
- More than 300 nodes of general purpose graphics processing unit (GPGPU) computing platform
- More than 25,000 virtual cores of cloud computing platform including virtual desktop and virtual server configurations
- More than four petabytes of computational storage
- More than 20 petabytes of research data storage
- Access to over 700 software applications
- Access to 10,000,000 service units at the National Computational Infrastructure supercomputing facility
- Access to more than 5000 virtual cores of cloud computing in the Melbourne Node of the Nectar Research Cloud.
Our resources and expertise are available only to members of the University of Melbourne research community. Our services are offered at no direct cost to researchers.
Research Computing Services can be used in conjunction with all the University’s research platforms.
Further information can also be found on the Research Gateway, which is available to all University of Melbourne academic and honorary staff, graduate researchers and professional staff. Please note, to access the Research Gateway, you will need to login with your University of Melbourne username and password.