2 Minute read
The Medical Biology PhD Program is a supplementary learning opportunity to enrich your graduate research experience. The program offers an opportunity to share your research with other disciplines and expand your peer network.
You can find existing Graduate Research courses using our Find a Course search tool.
This PhD Program is a supplementary learning opportunity that will enrich your graduate research experience.
When you join our PhD Program, you will work with others who share a passion for research related to medical biology. You’ll connect with graduate researchers from other disciplines. And you’ll engage with relevant external organisations.
The program will expand your knowledge in key areas. You will learn more about:
- medical biology
- research management
- commercialisation of research
- clinical translation.
Our multidisciplinary PhD program provides many benefits. You will:
- broaden your research experience
- enhance your career prospects
- access a range of activities that are not part of your core PhD studies
- extend your networks across the University and external organisations.
The Medical Biology PhD Program is delivered by the Department of Medical Biology at the University of Melbourne. When you join, you will undertake research training at the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
Learn more about the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute
This institute is affiliated with the University of Melbourne. It provides a scientific environment of innovation, collaboration and excellence. Research from the institute has won prestigious awards, including:
- The Nobel Prize
- Albert Lasker Awards
- Royal Society Medals
- The Australia Prize.
As a graduate researcher, you will work in a supportive and collegiate working environment. We value and promote diversity and gender equity.
Our intensive research environment includes:
- senior researchers, postdoctoral fellows and research assistants
- professional staff
- technical support services
- a Scientific Education Office
- opportunities to develop diverse professional skills that will benefit your future.
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute has expertise in fundamental and translational research in many fields, including:
- Computational biology
- Cancer biology
- Cell death
- Chemical biology
- Drug development
- Clinical translation
- Infectious disease
- Personalised medicine
- Stem cells and developmental biology
- Structural biology
Find more information about our PhD Program opportunities.
The program gives you access to a wide range of activities that will enhance your core PhD studies. These include academic, professional and career development opportunities. You will receive intensive training in a supportive environment. This experience will prepare you for a dynamic scientific career.
The Walter and Eliza Institute provides the following opportunities as part of this program:
- Weekly postgraduate seminar series, including events within the Institute and graduate researcher completion seminars
- Internal internship program
- Mentoring program
- Professional development and career workshops
- Leadership opportunities through institute committees and the student association.
Discover detailed program information.
To take part in the Medical Biology PhD Program, you must:
- be enrolled in a PhD at the University of Melbourne
- have a PhD supervisor who is based at the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute.
If you’re a current University of Melbourne PhD candidate
- Talk with your supervisor about participating.
- Contact our Scientific Education Office.
If you want to apply for a PhD with us
First published on 22 February 2022.
Share this article