To shape minds is a privilege and a responsibility. Education has the power to transform lives - it improves social and economic outcomes and increases personal wellbeing.
As a graduate researcher in the Melbourne Graduate School of Education (MGSE), you’ll join a talented community of education researchers. You’ll share your journey with others who are inspired to grow our understandings and expand our knowledge. And you’ll be guided and supported by supervisors who are experts in their field.
Explore our research
MGSE offers a wide range of graduate research opportunities that tackle the critical issues in education policy and practice. You’ll have access to experts whose expertise spans early childhood, primary, secondary and higher education.
Research centres and institutes
As a graduate researcher, you can choose from research opportunities within our hubs and centres, including:
- Assessment Research Centre
- Centre for Wellbeing Science
- Centre for Program Evaluation
- Continuing, Vocational and Educational Policy Hub
- International Community for Classroom Research (ICCR) Hub
- Language and Literacy Research Hub
- Melbourne Centre for the Study of Higher Education
- Research in Effective Education in Early Childhood (REEaCh)
- Social Transformation and Education Research Hub
- Youth Research Collective
- The Learning Environments Research Hub
- The Science of Learning Research Hub
Learn how we're making a difference
Pioneering research in the Melbourne Graduate School of Education is influencing education in Australia. We’re shaping policy and curriculum, from early childhood through to year 12 and beyond. Through research, we have discovered how to:
- Provide quality early learning programs that help disadvantaged children.
- Reduce the serious problems that stem from loneliness by increasing connection with classmates.
- Design different learning environments to include children with special educational needs.
- Encourage creativity in a world that is increasingly driven by artificial intelligence.
We’re also learning more about what makes a great teacher. And we’ve discovered that teachers with a strong belief in their own ability make the biggest impact.
Collaborate with other disciplines
As a graduate researcher, you can also work with researchers from other disciplines, which will help you reflect on the world in different ways. Depending on the topic, you might work with fine arts and music, economics or law experts. Related education initiatives and institutes include:
Graduate researchers also have access to many other interdisciplinary research opportunities across the University, including PhD Programs.
Engage with industry
You’ll have the chance to collaborate with schools in the community and beyond. Through our partnership program, you’ll access mentors and professional learning opportunities. You’ll expand your networks and enhance your career prospects.
- Search for a supervisor in your field of research.
- Find out more about how to apply.
- Explore the Melbourne Graduate School of Education website to learn more about education research.
- Read about the latest research findings in education.
Banner image: Getty Images