Researchers at the University of Melbourne are coming together to launch Melbourne Climate Futures to contribute to greater action on climate change.
To help drive action on climate change, the humanities, science, engineering and medicine at the University of Melbourne are coming together on Tuesday 23 March 2021 to launch Melbourne Climate Futures.
The next few years will be crucial to avoiding the worst effects of climate change. Leaders from around the world have recognised this pivotal moment and are calling for immediate action. More than 110 countries have now pledged to be carbon neutral by 2050. In the past few months, both China and the USA have committed to accelerating their transition to net zero emissions. Businesses are going green. And universities are strengthening research into protecting the planet from climate change.
To contribute to this global push, the University of Melbourne is launching Melbourne Climate Futures. This initiative builds on decades of research across areas such as climate change impacts in the Pacific, energy futures and bushfire resilience.
Melbourne Climate Futures brings researchers together to contribute to greater action on climate change in our region and around the world.
Below are just some of the University institutes, centres and programs that make up Melbourne Climate Futures.
- Centre for Anthropogenic Pollution Impact and Management
- Centre for Disaster Management and Public Safety
- Centre for Health Equity, School of Population and Global Health
- Centre for Resources, Energy and Environmental Law
- Centre for Sustainability and Business
- Climate & Energy College
- Connected Cities Lab
- Environment, Wellbeing and Sustainable Communities
- Environmental Science Hub
- Green Infrastructure Research Group
- Mallee Regional Innovation Hub
- Melbourne Energy Institute
- Melbourne School of Design Thrive Research Hub
- Melbourne Sustainable Society Institute
- Peter Cook Centre for Carbon Capture and Storage Research
- Primary Industries Climate Challenges Centre
- Social Action Laboratory, School of Psychological Sciences
- Sustainable and Healthy Environments Lab
- The Waterway Ecosystem Research Group
- Water Environment and Agriculture Program
Together with the following University partnerships, University-affiliated Cooperative Research Centres (CRCs), National Environmental Science Program (NESP) hubs, and Australian Research Council Centres of Excellence and funded projects.
- ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate Extremes (CLEX)
- Australian Centre for Advanced Photovoltaics
- Building 4.0 CRC
- Centre of Excellence in Exciton Science
- Energy Transition Hub
- Future Fuels CRC
- Low Carbon Living CRC
- National Centre for Coasts and Climate
- NESP Clean Air and Urban Landscapes Hub
- NESP Earth Systems and Climate Change Hub
Find out more about Melbourne Climate Futures.
Banner image: Researchers from many different disciplines launch Melbourne Climate Futures
First published on 3 March 2021.
Share this article
Research updatesUniversity of Melbourne