Melbourne Entrepreneurial Centre (MEC) is the gateway to entrepreneurial support at the University, with opportunities for researchers, students, alumni, members of industry and the general community at all stages of your journey.
The Melbourne Entrepreneurial Centre offers a range of programs designed to introduce and develop the skills needed to pursue entrepreneurial opportunities.
Through MEC you can:
- Take part in pitch nights, hackathons, masterclasses, workshops, courses and programs
- Learn from successful entrepreneurs
- Meet like-minded innovators
- Receive expert advice to fast-track an idea from the University to the marketplace.
Our core programs
Translating Research at Melbourne (TRAM)
TRAM programs teach researchers to think like entrepreneurs and provide the education and support to transform their research and inventions into products and services that create impact. TRAM offers four programs for each stage of the research translation journey. All programs are open to individual researchers and research teams from the University and the Melbourne Biomedical Precinct.
Entry point program for researchers considering translating their research.
One-day intensive bootcamp.
Follows TRAMx for research teams who have already developed a business concept.
One day a week for eight weeks.
After TRAM Track, for research teams with a developed concept.
One day a week for 12 weeks.
After TRAM Runway for research teams working on advanced research commercialisation projects.
One day a week for 12 months.
Melbourne Accelerator Program (MAP)
Australia’s oldest University-backed accelerator program. MAP offers places for 11 high-potential startups each year that each receive $A20,000 equity-free funding and free office space. Open to staff, students, alumni, and non-university social impact founders as a five-month program.
MAP Velocity Program
Velocity is a pre-accelerator program for early-stage founders.
Open to all founders located in Victoria (no University affiliation required)
A 10-week program that runs twice a year.
InnovatEd is an incubation program for educational technology (EdTech) innovations focused on higher education.
Open to all staff, students and alumni of the University, InnovatEd is designed to incentivise, support and drive the creation and uptake of EdTech innovations within the University.
Hospital Innovation Acceleration Program (IAP)
IAP unites the University’s world-class research and commercialisation expertise and the health sector as researchers work with clinicians to solve healthcare problems.
- Open to healthcare providers in the University of Melbourne’s partner hospitals (currently Western Health, Royal Melbourne Hospital and Bendigo Health) as a 12-month program
The Australian Clinical Entrepreneur Program
This program equips entrepreneurial clinicians with the skills and networks to transform ideas into products and businesses to benefit the clinical care of patients.
- Open to clinicians and allied health professionals based in Western Australia, Victoria and New South Wales.
- 12-month program, May intake.
Graduate Certificate in Entrepreneurship
Equips you with foundational knowledge and skills as you learn to analyse and solve business and social problems in either a startup or established organisation. Open to domestic and international students
- Six months full-time or one-year part-time
- Mid-year intake only
Learn more about the Graduate Certificate in Entrepreneurship >
Master of Entrepreneurship
Suitable for people with some experience in entrepreneurship who want to develop advanced knowledge in innovation or creating a startup.
- Open to domestic and international students
- One-year full-time or two years part-time
- Start year intake only
Wade Institute of Entrepreneurship
A purpose-built hub for entrepreneurial training. The Institute hosts the Masters of Entrepreneurship and delivers a range of programs including:
- For investors who want a deeper understanding of venture investment, supported by LaunchVic
- Open to active investors
- 10-day online intensive and six months of mentoring.