The User Experience (UX) Lab supports a wide range of UI/UX activities, giving you access to specialist audio-visual equipment and usability testing tools.
Available for individuals and companies to hire, our UX Lab can be used for an extensive range of UI/UX activities, such as user-based testing, participatory design workshops, and focus group studies.
The lab features four observation rooms and a control room for usability engineers. Rooms 1A and 1B can be combined to create a larger space for workshops and focus groups. When you hire the lab, you’ll have access to cutting-edge UX equipment including multiple cameras, a 360-degree mic array, and eye-tracking devices and analysis software.
The UX Lab can be used to:
- Conduct a traditional usability session (i.e., a single evaluation)
- Support up to four concurrent usability sessions
- Investigate distributed technologies, such as those used by people interacting over a distance (e.g., social media technologies).
We’ve worked with a range of clients including digital strategists Parisfirst and strategic design consultancy ThinkPlace. Visit this page for an interactive 3D tour of the UX Lab.
The UX Lab is a flexible space that can be configured to suit your needs. Our facilities include:
- Four observation rooms and a control room for usability engineers
- One-way mirrors in each room for direct monitoring from the control room
- An elaborate patch system that allows video cameras to be located anywhere in an observation room, including on the ceiling rig or on tripods
- Cameras (typically, three cameras are used for each session) and a 360-degree mic array with noise cancellation in each room, which captures high-quality audio of participants’ communication
- Eye-tracking devices (wearable and remote) and analysis software (Tobii Pro Labs, Tobii Pro Glasses Analyzer) for recording on-screen to real-world user interactions.
- Secured reception area with kitchenette where participants can wait or complete paperwork.
Our UX Lab is commonly used for activities like user-based testing, heuristic evaluations, cognitive walkthroughs, brainstorming sessions, participatory design workshops and focus group studies.
The facilities are available for individuals or companies to hire on a full-day or half-day basis. To book, please contact the Lab Manager via the details below.
User Experience (UX) Lab
Room 5105, Level 5, Building 290
Melbourne Connect, 700 Swanston Street
To book the UX Lab, please contact:
Allen Mari Pilares
+61 3 9035 8760
More information on this platform can be found on the Research Gateway, which is available to all University of Melbourne academic and honorary staff, graduate researchers and professional staff. Please note, to access the Research Gateway, you will need to login with your University of Melbourne username and password.