The Melbourne Cytometry Platform offers equipment and expertise for analysing the physical and chemical characteristics of particles, cells and subcellular components.
The platform provides researchers with access to flow cytometry. This technique is used to detect, identify, count and isolate particles and cells. It can also identify molecular components. Cells or particles are suspended in fluid and then injected into a flow cytometer at high speed. They pass one-by-one through focused laser beams for analysis.
Our network of facilities includes physical containment level 2 and level 3 facilities. We can meet a broad range of cytometry challenges, from small particles and very dim signals to high-dimensional multiparametric analyses.
We provide expert advice and advanced training on:
- Cytometry applications
- Assay development
- Experimental design and sample preparation
- Fluorescence panel design
- Instrument operation
- Data analysis
- Advanced instrument characterisation
- Optimum set-up and fine-tuning for advanced applications.
We collaborate with academic researchers and industry partners. We also work with undergraduate and postgraduate programs. Our services cover many disciplines. They range from biochemistry and cell biology to nanotechnology and materials science.
- 2 Cytek Aurora 5L (5 lasers, 64 detectors)
- 3 Beckman Coulter CytoFLEX S & LX
- 6 Becton Dickinson LSR Fortessa
- Becton Dickinson LSR II, Canto II & FACSVerse
High-speed cell sorters
- 2 Beckman Coulter AstriosEQ cell sorters (4 lasers, 16 detectors)
- 2 Becton Dickinson FACS Aria III (4-5 lasers, 18 detectors)
- 1 Becton Dickinson FACS Aria Fusion (4 lasers, 16 detectors)
The platform is open to researchers Australia-wide on a fee-for-service basis.
The platform can be used in conjunction with:
- Biological Optical Microscopy Platform
- Biosciences Microscopy Unit
- Mass Spectrometry and Proteomics Facility
- Materials Characterisation and Fabrication Platform
- Melbourne Advanced Microscopy Facility
- Melbourne Bioinformatics
- Melbourne Bioresources Platform
- Melbourne Data Analytics Platform
- Melbourne Histology Platform
- Melbourne Protein Characterisation
- Metabolomics Australia
- Phenomics Australia Histopathology and Slide Scanning Services
- Plant Growth Facilities
- Research Computing Services
- Statistical Consulting Centre
Image: Alexis Perez Gonzalez
Dr Alexis Perez Gonzalez
Phone: +61 3 9341 1567
More information on this platform can be found on the Research Gateway, which is available to all University of Melbourne academic and honorary staff, graduate researchers and professional staff. Please note, to access the Research Gateway, you will need to login with your University of Melbourne username and password.