- Wednesday 17 April 2019
Applications open in RGMS
- 10am - Monday 20 May
Internal Date for Review by RIC
- 10am - Thursday 6 June 2018
Final submission due to RIC
- 5pm - Wednesday 12 June
NHMRC Closing Date
Scholarships are awarded for a maximum period of three years full time or six years part time. Note that Part-time Scholarships are available to Medical and Dental Postgraduate Research Scholarship holders who are undertaking dual training – postgraduate medical/dental and a PhD, and applicants who are undertaking additional training to further establish their career.
Current stipend rates are available on the NHMRC website and are revised annually.
Research, Innovation & Commercialisation (RIC) has a Submission Procedure for Major ARC/NHMRC Grants Rounds. Please review the scheme specific details prior to submitting your application as it will be strictly adhered to.
How to apply
Submit a Notice of Intent (NOI)
The NOI should be completed early to provide RIC with applicant (CIA) contact details.
Complete/update RGMS Profile and CV
The applicant will need to obtain access to RGMS to complete this step.
Review the funding documents
The applicant should read the NHMRC Funding Rules and the Advice and Instructions to Applicants (both "All Schemes" and "Scheme Specific"), as well as review the UoM Authority to Submit form.
Complete draft application in RGMS
In addition to the RGMS application, the applicant should download the pre-formatted Microsoft Word template for the Grant Proposal from the NHMRC website. Applicants must use this template to complete their Grant Proposal without changing formatting in any way as this could render applicants ineligible.
Email a 'Review Ready' application to RIC
Email a draft application to RIC for review during the 3-day submission period (15 -17 May 2018). The earlier you submit application for review the earlier feedback will be provided. A hardcopy of the application is not required.
- Use the ‘Request Latest Snapshot Report’ function in RGMS.
- Email the two snapshot reports, the draft Grant Proposal (as a PDF), all your Academic Transcripts, and Registration Evidence (if applicable). A UOM Authority to Submit form is not required at this stage.
- RIC will send a receipt email within 24 hours.
Complete the application after feedback
After taking feedback from RIC into consideration, complete the application in RGMS. It is suggested advice is sought from Supervisors, Faculty Mentors, etc. before finalising the application.
Applying for Heart Foundation or MS Research Australia co-funding?
If applying for co-funding with either of these organisations, a separate application must be submitted to them in addition to ticking the co-funding option in your NHMRC Scholarship application.
The review and submission of Heart Foundation and MSRA applications will be managed as a separate process due to the variation in application deadlines - Heart Foundation due late June and MSRA due 13 May. Further information on how to apply for Heart Foundation and MSRA will be communicated to applicants directly.
Certify the application in RGMS
Certify the application via the ‘CI Certification’ function in RGMS. Two snapshot reports will be automatically generated - please wait for these to be produced. The application will be locked once certified and the status then will be 'Submitted to RAO'.
You do not need to send a copy of your final application to RIC.
Submit the UoM Authority to Submit form
Submit a fully completed and signed UoM Authority to Submit form to RIC by email (*NEW PROCESS*) before 5pm on the RIC final submission due date - a hardcopy is not required. The form should be one PDF document and should include:
- Completed compliance and eligibility section
- Signature of the applicant and Head of Department/Institute Director.
Note that this is an NHMRC requirement and the application cannot be submitted to NHMRC until RIC receives this form.
RIC will submit the application
Once the application has been submitted to NHMRC, the applicant will receive an RGMS notification.
- **PLEASE NOTE** All documentation relating to this scheme have not been released at this time. The website will be updated with up to date documentation when it is made available.
- ***Please note that all documentation relating to this scheme can be found via Grant Connect – GO1165. If you don't already have one, you will need to create log in details for Grant Connect.***
- NHMRC Funding Rules: All Schemes and Scholarship Scheme-Specific (applicants must refer to both)
- Advice and Instructions to Applicants: All Schemes and Scheme-Specific (applicants must refer to both)
- NHMRC Scholarships webpage, which includes links to download:
- RGMS User Guides: Introduction to RGMS and Applying for Grants (includes how to create an application)
- Peer Review Guidelines: All Schemes and Scheme-Specific (applicants must refer to both)
- UOM Authority to Submit form - required once application is certified in RGMS
- Copies of previous successful NHMRC Scholarship applications are held in the RIC library and are accessible through the Grants Library site (UoM login required). If you do not have a UoM login contact RIC via email@example.com
- Refer to Heart Foundation and MS Research Australia websites for information on how to submit the separate co-funding application at a later date via the new HF and MSRA online portals. Once co-funding applicants are identified, RIC will provide them with instructions on how to submit the separate draft application to RIC for review.
- Questions and primary email