- Wednesday 17 January 2018
Applications open in RGMS
- Thursday 8 February 2018
1st Internal date for review by RIC (8 - 12 Feb)
- Wednesday 28 February 2018
Final submission due to RIC
- Section 5 Eligibility (Funding Rules – scheme specific) - Clarification that a career disruption cannot extend past the application close date
- Removal of eligibility restrictions for Professors and Associate Professors.
Career Development Fellowships (CDFs) are highly competitive, four year fellowships that recognise and provide support for the most outstanding early to mid-career health and medical researchers in each Fellowship category. CDFs can be applied for at one of two levels depending on the applicant’s career stage – CDF Level 1 or CDF Level 2.
The specific objectives of the CDF scheme are to enable investigators to establish themselves as independent, self-directed researchers; expand capacity for clinical, population health, biomedical and bioinformatics research, and for evidence-based policy development in Australian health systems; encourage the translation of research outcomes into practice; bridge the gap between research and industry; and provide a means for Australian researchers working overseas to return to Australia to continue their career development.
Research, Innovation & Commercialisation (RIC) has a Submission Procedure for Major ARC/NHMRC Grants Rounds. Please review the scheme specific details prior to submitting your application as it will be strictly adhered to.
Career Development Fellowship Level 1 - $109,259 P/A (4 years)
Career Development Fellowship Level 2 - $120,851 P/A (4 years)
How to apply
Submit a Notice of Intent (NOI)
The NOI should be completed early to provide RIC with CIA contact details.
Complete/update RGMS Profile and CV
The CIA will need to obtain access to RGMS to complete this step.
Review the funding documents
The CIA should read both the generic and scheme specific NHMRC Funding Rules and Advice and Instructions to Applicants which can be found on the NHMRC website, as well as review the UOM Lodgement Coversheet and UOM Authority to Submit form.
Complete draft application in RGMS
Complete the draft application in RGMS. Ensure you enter 'The University of Melbourne' as the Administering Institution.
Email a draft application to RIC
Submit your draft application to RIC by email for review. A hardcopy is not required.
- Use the ‘Request Latest Snapshot Report’ function in RGMS.
- Email two snapshot reports, the draft Grant Proposal (as a PDF) and other relevant attachments. A UOM Authority to Submit form is not required at this stage. Confirm whether Gold review required - refer to Submissions Procedure for details of this service.
- RIC will send an email upon receipt.
Complete the application after feedback
Complete application in RGMS after taking feedback into consideration. Applicants should also seek advice from colleagues and Faculty Mentors before finalising the application.
**Applying for Heart Foundation co-funding?
To be eligible for this co-funded award, applicants must submit a separate application for a Heart Foundation Future Leader Fellowship. Applicants must be successful for both a Heart Foundation Future Leader Fellowship, awarded through the Heart Foundation peer review process, and an NHMRC Career Development Fellowship, awarded through the NHMRC peer review process. If you are applying in a co-funded capacity please notify us via email@example.com
Certify the application in RGMS
Certify the application via the ‘CI Certification’ function in RGMS. Snapshot reports will be automatically generated, please wait for these to be produced. The application will be locked once certified and status then will be Submitted to RAO.
Submit the UOM Authority to Submit form
CIA to submit a fully completed UOM Authority to Submit form to RIC by email before 5pm Wednesday 28 February 2018. The form should be one PDF document and should include:
- Completed compliance and eligibility section
- Signature of the CIA and Head of Department/Institute Director.
A hardcopy of the RGMS application is not required.
Note that this is an NHMRC requirement and the application cannot be submitted to NHMRC until RIC receives this form.
RIC will submit the application
Once the application has been submitted to NHMRC, the CIA will receive RGMS notification
***Please note that all documentation relating to this scheme can be found via Grant Connect - GO942. If you don't already have one, you will need to create log in details for Grant Connect.***
- NHMRC CDF Fellowship webpage
- Funding Rules - All Schemes and CDF scheme specific (must refer to both)
- Advice and Instructions to Applicants - All Schemes and CDF Scheme Specific (must refer to both)
- Grant Proposal Template (mandatory use)
- Career Disruption Evidence (Letter from Employer template)
- Peer Review Guidelines: All Schemes and CDF Scheme Specific (must refer to both)
- Indigenous Research Excellence Criteria - see Section 6.3 of Funding Rules
- CDF Category Descriptors (Attachment A)
- CDF Statement of Expectations (Attachment B)
- RGMS Character Count online tool
- RGMS Offline Forms (review via RGMS entry only)
- RGMS User Guides
- Research Classification Guides
- Co-Funded Career Development Fellowships Co-Funding Partners
- **Co Funding (Heart Foundation) webpage
- Questions and primary email
- Anna Giannios
- T: +61 3 8344 2608