MRFF FRONTIER HEALTH AND MEDICAL RESEARCH PROGRAM
The Frontier Health and Medical Research program will provide over $240 million to researchers and their collaborators over five years to support innovative ’out-of-the-box’ ideas and discoveries. It aims to unlock groundbreaking research which provides new treatments and technologies to improve health and open new markets for industry growth.The Frontier Health and Medical Research program will be overseen by an expert international panel and be consistent with the Australian Medical Research Innovation strategy.
Process: The Frontier Health and Medical Research program will operate under a two-stage process:
|Stage 1 (Now Open)||Involves an open competitive expression of interest|
|Researchers must articulate their idea and its merit; demonstrate its novelty, competitiveness and transformative nature, and its potential for partnerships|
|Successful stage 1 applicants will receive up to $1 million and have approximately 1 year to advance their idea and develop a business case to put forward for potential stage 2 investment|
|Stage 2||Top applicants will be selected based on their potential to realise a new frontier in health and medical research and build a new industry ecosystem|
|Successful Stage 2 applicants will receive up to 5 years of funding, ranging from $10 - $20 million per year|
Stage One Now Open for Applications!
**UoM researchers must submit an Notice of Intent (NOI)**
Relevant official documents can be retrieved from https://www.business.gov.au/assistance/frontier-health-and-medical-research#key-documents
University of Melbourne researchers can also download the additional Information Pack prepared by the UoM MRFF Team (UoM login required).
6 December 2018 - Scheme opens
29 January 2019 - Submit Review Ready application to RIC
20 February 2019 - Submit final application to RIC
26 February 2019 (5.00 pm ADST) - Final application deadline
For assistance with the grant application guidelines and submission, contact: Ken Choong at email@example.com, 90358763
MRFF Frontiers information session
Recording of the event can be found here
The objective of this Stage One grant opportunity is to provide funding to develop detailed planning for significant research projects in the health and medical research sector that are innovative at a global level and have great potential to have a transformative impact on health care. The intended outcome of this grant opportunity is a detailed research and implementation plan that will form the basis of a Stage Two application that supports research into a range of new treatments for disease and medical services that can transform health care in Australia.
Applications must address the following merit criterion in addition to meeting the eligibility requirements.
- The extent that your project applies cutting edge research to develop new to world applications that will deliver significant benefits for human health (50 points)
- Your capacity, capability and resources to deliver the project (40 points)
- Impact of grant funding (10 points)
Up to $10 million is available to fund 10 projects (valued at $250,000 - $1,000,000).
Applications must provide the following additional documents in addition to being submitted via the University.
- evidence from your board (or chief executive officer or equivalent if there is no board) that the project is supported, and that you can complete the project and meet the costs of the project not covered by grant funding
- letters of support from each project partner are provided (see section 7.2)
- a project plan
- a project budget
- details of intellectual property (IP) arrangements as per the requirements in section 10.3.2 as an attachment if this is not included within the written content of the application.
- a trust deed (where applicable)