- Wednesday 20 March 2019
Applications open via SmartyGrants
- Wednesday 8 May 2019
- 3:00pm (AEST)
Applications due via SmartyGrants
- Mid-July 2019
Notification of outcomes
Sir Edward Woodward, a former University Chancellor, and Lady Woodward have established two medals for staff at the University with support from the Office of the Vice-Chancellor. The two awards – the Woodward Medal in Science and Technology and the Woodward Medal in Humanities and Social Sciences – are awarded annually to a member of staff for research published in the five years leading up to 31 December of the preceding year. The research must have made a significant contribution to knowledge in a field of science and technology or humanities and social sciences.
In 2019, awardees of each medal will receive a cash award of $10,000.
- Candidates must be members of staff at The University of Melbourne at the time of application.
- For 2019, nominated works must have been published between 1 January 2014 and 31 December 2018.
- The form of publication may be a book, a refereed journal article or a suite of related books and/or articles published electronically or in hard copy, or other creative work published in an appropriate digital medium in the preceding five years.
- If nominations are for a suite of related books and/or articles, applications may include up to but no more than three items for review.
- Although not mandatory, preference will be given to work completed at The University of Melbourne.
- Candidates must be nominated by a colleague. The nominator must provide a one-page Nomination Statement speaking to the nature of the work at its contribution to knowledge in the field. If the nominator is not in the candidate's field, they may use another expert to write the Statement.
- Where the nominated publication is a multi-authored work, the candidate must explicitly clarify their individual contribution.
How to apply
- Log into SmartyGrants and begin the nomination form.
- The nominator should provide a one-page Nomination Statement. If the nominator cannot speak to your academic field, another expert can write the Statement. Both nominator (and expert, if used) must sign the Statement.
- To submit hard-copy books (only if there is no electronic option), please address to:Kim TurnerLevel 4 Alan Gilbert Building161 Barry StCarlton VIC 3053