- Friday 27 July 2018
- Thursday 31 October 2018
- December 2018
Notification of outcomes
The McCoy Project will be offering two PhD Scholarships to commence in 2019, to be broadly allocated equally between the HASS and STEM disciplines. To award the scholarships, the McCoy Project is seeking expressions of interest from joint-supervisors from the University of Melbourne and Museums Victoria with PhD research projects that align with the objectives of the McCoy Project and its research themes:
- Understanding the Present through Collections
- Contemporary Museums – their Value, Philosophy and Role
- Communicating Research: Teaching and Learning for Schools and Communities through Museums and Collections
- Science and Indigenous Cultures
- Exploring the natural world
However, consideration will also be given to project proposals that fall outside these themes. Proposals that cross traditional discipline boundaries will be viewed favourably.
The Scholarships are Research Training Program stipends (RTP). The McCoy scholarships will be awarded under the same conditions and benefits as the Research Training Program and include a $5,000 annual top-up. All overhead and resources costs for the student are to be borne by the School/Faculty.
For the research project to be eligible for consideration, it must:
- Be aligned with the McCoy Project Themes
- Be original research that preferably crosses traditional discipline boundaries
- Have a Principal Supervisor from the University of Melbourne and a collaborating supervisor from Museums Victoria
If a project is awarded a scholarship, the supervisors will need to nominate a student. For a student to be eligible for consideration they must meet the requirements of the RTP scholarship scheme. For more information please see the guidelines and application form in the supporting documents section below.
Other McCoy funding schemes
The McCoy Project also offers seed funding for pilot projects that align with the objectives of the McCoy Project and its research themes. Please see the McCoy Seed Fund page for application forms and guidelines.
How to apply
Supervisors must consult with the appropriate supervisors and/or heads of departments at both the University and Museums Victoria, about their proposed RTP scholarship project and ensure that they have the time and resources to undertake the project.
All EOI applications must also be submitted by email using the 2019 McCoy PhD Scholarship Scheme Expression of Interest Form with attachments. These are to be emailed as a single file (pdf or Word doc), named in this format: [SURNAME]-McCoyPhD-2019. Applications are to be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 documents now available
- McCoy Seed Fund questions and primary email