The processes, resources and expectations around accepting and managing internal grants and fellowships at the University of Melbourne
Accepting your grant
Each individual internal grant scheme has its own processes for advice of award. In some cases applicants will be advised directly by Research, Innovation and Commercialisation (RIC), however depending on faculty and department involvement, for some schemes (e.g. Melbourne Research Grant Support Scheme) applicants are advised of outcomes directly by the faculty.
As the process required to accept an internal grant may vary, the exact requirements and any documentation necessary will be advised to individual awardees.
Variations of the project agreement
Variations occur when a successful grant needs modification from the original project agreement.
For instance, personnel may withdraw, you may experience delays which prevent timely completion of project milestones or the expenditure of funds within the award period. To discuss a variance to the conditions of an internal award please contact the grants officer responsible for that award.
Extensions to a project end date will only be considered in exceptional circumstances, with a maximum extension of six months unless otherwise specified in the funding guidelines. Requests must be approved by the chief investigator’s head of department and submitted to the Research, Innovation and Commercialisation (RIC) at least one month prior to the project end date.
- UOM Carlton Connect Initiatives Extension Request Form
- UOM/DEDJTR Innovation Seed Fund for Horticulture Development Extension Request Form
- For all other internal grants, please use the Internal Grant Variation Request Form
Transferring and leaving the University
Progress and Final Reports
All researchers who are awarded an internal grant are required to submit a report in accordance with the conditions under which the award was made. The completed report should be signed off by the appropriate head of department, and a copy made available to collaborators (if appropriate).
All final reports should also include a brief financial report. Financial reports have no prescribed format. The financial report should show at minimum the funds expended, funds remaining, and the amounts and general categories of expenditure (i.e. travel, salaries, equipment).
For internal grants in the award year 2020 or later, your final report form can be found by logging into your SmartyGrants profile. Please complete this form online and submit via SmartyGrants. If you have any trouble accessing or completing the form, please contact email@example.com
For internal grants in the award year 2019 or earlier, please submit an electronic copy only (single pdf file) to Research, Innovation and Commercialisation (RIC) via the email address specified on the form.
- Melbourne Research Fellowships (Career Interruptions) Final Report Form
- McKenzie Fellowship Progress Report Form
- McKenzie Fellowships Final Report Form
- Carlton Connect Initiatives Fund End of Collaboration Project Report
- Carlton Connect Initiatives Fund End of Facilitation Project Report
- Innovation Seed Fund for Horticulture Development Final Report Form
- Other Internal Grant/Fellowship Final Report form (2019 and earlier)