- August 2017
2018 Funding Rules are released
- 28 September 2017 12-2pm
- 3 October 2017
Proposals open in RMS
- 26 October 2017 12-2pm
- 1 November 2017
Submit review ready application to RIC
If applicable, submit Eligibility Exemption Request calculations
- 6 November 2017
Request not to assess due to RIC
- 8 November 2017
Request not to assess due to the ARC
- 16 November 2017
Final Application Submission due to RIC
- 22 November 2017
Final Applications due to ARC
- 5 March 2018
Rejoinders due to RIC in RMS by 10.00am
- May 2018
Outcomes 2018 Round
The Future Fellowships scheme aims to:
- Ensure that outstanding mid-career researchers are recruited and retained by Administering Organisations in continuing academic positions
- Build collaboration across industry and/or research organisations and/or disciplines
- Support research in Science and Research Priorities that will result in economic, environmental, social and/or cultural benefits for Australia
- Strengthen Australia’s research capacity by supporting innovative, internationally competitive research.
The scheme provides funding for a Future Fellow’s salary at one of three salary levels, including 30 per cent on-costs for a four-year project. Additionally, up to $50,000 funding may be awarded per annum for Project costs. Project costs can be used to hire research personnel, support HDR students, equipment, consumables, Field Research, Travel, and dissemination costs. See the Future Fellowships Funding Rules for more information.
From 2018 a Future Fellowship Candidate may be nominated on a maximum of 3 Future Fellowship Proposals over the period in which they are eligible.
ACTIVE PROJECTS AND ACTIVE PROJECT ASSESSMENT DATE
Active Projects mean a Project that is receiving funding according to the terms of the original Funding Agreement, or has any carryover funds approved by the ARC, or an approved variation to the Project’s end date. Therefore if a project has carried forward any funding and the end date has changed, the NEW end date determines an active project. Active projects can be viewed via the applicants RMS profile by selecting Person Profile > Current ARC Projects> end date.
The new term Active Project Assessment Date (the date on which Active Project eligibility will be considered), has been introduced into the Definitions, and referenced at subsections A6.1 and A6.2. This is a scheme-specific date that nominates the date when Project and Proposal limit eligibility is assessed by the ARC.
The ARC will calculate active projects as at the closing time of submission of Proposals (and may calculate this rule again as other scheme rounds’ announcements are made and End of Year Reports are submitted.)
Funding Commencement Date
Active Project Assessment Date
Future Fellowship 2018
1 July 2018
1 January 2019
Future Fellowship candidates can apply for a FT18 while holding two DP16s but must relinquish a DP16 (or their role on that Project) before commencing the FT18 in order to meet the limit of one Discovery Project and one Fellowship.
Future Fellowship candidates can apply for a FT18 while holding two DP16s with Project end dates prior to 1 January 2019. However, they cannot start the FT18 until at least one of the DP16s has been completed, one DP16 has been relinquished or their role on one DP16 has been relinquished in order to meet the limit of one Discovery Program Project and one Fellowship.
REQUEST NOT TO ASSESS
Please note the addition of the new Rule relating to ARC College of Experts members:
A8.5.3 If the Administering Organisation names a current ARC College of Experts member, as listed on the ARC website at the time of submitting the Request Not to Assess form, the request must be accompanied by comprehensive evidence justifying the request for the ARC College of Experts member or members named. If the ARC considers the evidence is not sufficient for the named ARC College of Experts member or members, the ARC may reject the request.
Establishment Grants for Future Fellows
Establishment Grants are internal grants to support ARC Future Fellows at the University of Melbourne. To be eligible for central support, matching funding must be provided by the host department/school/faculty on a 2:1 basis. Applications for Establishment Grants should be requested at the ARC Future Fellowship proposal stage. The scheme will be open to candidates applying to the 2018 ARC Future Fellowship round. Refer to the Establishment Grant webpage for details on how to apply.
How to apply
Submit a Notice of Intent (NOI).
The NOI should be completed early to provide RIC with the Future Fellowship candidate's contact details.
Update RMS profile
Review the Future Fellowship Funding Rules and the Instructions to Applicants and FAQs.
Complete the draft application in RMS
Complete the draft application in RMS
Strategic Alignment Statement
Work on the Strategic Alignment Statement with your supervisor and department/faculty. The Head of Department must certify the Strategic Alignment Statement Coversheet before submission to RIC. Please see Faculty specific review instructions here.
Academic Justification Letter
If applicable, work on the Academic Justification Letter with your supervisor and department/faculty. This Letter must be sent to email@example.com at the same time as the Strategic Alignment Statement so that RIC can arrange for the DVC(R) to certify it.
Eligibility Exemption Request
If applicable, complete the Eligibility Exemption Request form. This is a spreadsheet that details career interruptions for applicants whose PhD was awarded prior to 1 March 2003.
This form must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1 November 2017 so that RIC can arrange for the DVC(R) to certify eligibility.
Submit review ready application to RIC
See the Submission Procedure document for information on review ready applications.
Submit application to RIC (email@example.com) within the RIC submission period. Submit the following:
- An electronic copy of the complete review ready draft application*, downloaded as a PDF from RMS.
- Applicants from ABP, Business and Economics, Education, Law, Fine Arts and Music and Veterinary and Agricultural Science please send your Strategic Alignment Statement in a Word document (using the template letterhead provided below) Email this to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Academic Level Justification letter if applicable (Q D17). Use the template letterhead provided under RIC Support Documents. This needs to be included in your application. Please note this is only required if 1. you have selected 'Other' or 2. you have chosen a salary level in Part E which doesn't align with your academic level (due to significant career interruption).
- If applicable, the applicant should include an electronic copy of the Request Not to Assess form if they would like to request the exclusion of a potential assessor. Email this to email@example.com
*A 'review ready' draft application
- RMS Profile for personnel
- Section A - Admin Summary
- Section B - Classifications/Statistical Info
- Section C - Project Description: This part can be incomplete, but may include Benefit andCollaboration, Communication of Results and Management of Data section in C1. For ABP, Business and Economics, Education, Law, Fine Arts and Music and Veterinary and Agricultural Science applicants A finalised C3 Strategic Statement approved by the HOD must be submitted. All other Faculty applications please see your Faculty due dates for C3.
- Section C4 and C5 if applicable.
- Section D - Personnel and ROPE
- Section E - Project Cost
- Section F - Budget Justifications
- Section G - Research Support
- Section H - Host Organisation (if applicable)
Two RIC staff members will review the application and provide the applicant with feedback via email.
Complete the application
After taking feedback from the RIC team into consideration, complete the application in RMS. It is suggested advice is sought from colleagues, Faculty Mentors, etc. before finalising the application.
Submit the UOM Authority to Submit form
The form must be submitted to RIC via email to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5:00pm on 16 November 2017. This form should include:
- The Head of Department for the project must certify the form
- If applicable, Host Organisations must also sign
- The applicant must read through the submission conditions and sign their initials next to each one to confirm that they have been met
Electronic signatures are permitted.
This is an ARC requirement and the application cannot be submitted to ARC until received.
Before 5:00pm on 16 November 2017, the applicant must:
- Submit final application by clicking ‘Submit to Research Office’ in RMS
- Email RIC (email@example.com) a pdf copy of the final application and a scanned, signed Authority to Submit form
Note: Applications without a completed Authority to Submit form cannot be submitted to the ARC
RIC will submit the application
Once the application has been submitted to ARC, you will receive an email from RIC confirming submission.
- 2018 Future Fellowships Funding Rules NEW!
- Changes to ARC Rules NEW!
- Future Fellowships Instructions to Applicants
- Cross-Scheme Eligibility FAQ's
- Request Not to Assess form
- Future Fellowships Sample Application Form
- ARC College members
- ARC Medical Research Policy
- ARC Discovery Programs outcome statistics
- Australian Government Science and Research Priorities
- Notice of Intent (NOI)
- Eligibility Exemption Request Calculator NEW!
- Future Fellowships Applicant Guide NEW!
- Salary Scales and Budget Preparation NEW!
- Guide to Completing the Statement by Admin Org (Section C3) NEW!
- Statement by Admin Org Coversheet (Requires HOD sign off) NEW!
- Statement by Admin Org Template letterhead NEW!
- Academic Level Justification Template letterhead (Section D17) NEW!
- Table G Template NEW!
- Authority to Submit form NEW!
- Research Impact Library Advisory Service (RILAS)
- Research at Melbourne Strategy
- Information on how to complete Management of Data
- Grants Library of Successful Applications
- College of Expert Members - FOR Codes NEW!
- Forum 1, Thursday 28 September - video presentation and RIC slides
- Forum 2, Thursday 26 October - agenda and video presentation
- Forum 3, Wednesday 8 November
- Future Fellowships questions and primary email
|Veronica Loew (primary contact)||+61 3 8344 8236|
|Elizabeth Morfe||+61 3 8344 2064|