As the Department of Medical Biology, we offer PhD students world-class research training at the internationally recognised Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research.
The Institute provides a scientific environment that emphasises innovation, collaboration and excellence. Research conducted at the Institute has been recognised through numerous prestigious awards including the Nobel Prize, Albert Lasker Awards, Royal Society Medals and the Australia Prize.
The Medical Biology PhD Program encapsulates all the benefits of undertaking PhD studies at the Institute. A PhD student at the Institute is immersed in an intensive research environment that includes:
- Senior researchers, postdoctoral fellows, and research assistants;
- Professional and technical support services and staff;
- A Scientific Education Office;
- Opportunities to develop diverse professional skills that will benefit their future.
We strive to ensure our students enjoy a supportive and collegiate working environment. We value and promote diversity and gender equity at our Institute.
The Institute has expertise in fundamental and translational research in many fields including:
- Bioinformatics and computational biology
- Cancer biology
- Cell death
- Chemical biology and drug development
- Clinical translation
- Epidemiology and population health
- Genetics, genomics and epigenetics
- Immunology and immune disorders
- Infectious disease
- Personalised medicine
- Stem cells and developmental biology
- Structural biology
More information can be found at: www.wehi.edu.au/education/phd
PhD students in the Medical Biology PhD Program have access to a large range of academic, professional and career development opportunities to enhance their graduate research studies.
The Program expands students' understanding of science, medical biology, research management, commercialisation and clinical translation. Students are provided with intensive training in a supportive cohort environment that prepares them for a dynamic scientific career.
Broader skills training provided by WEHI include:
- Weekly Postgraduate series, Institute, Division and student completion seminars
- Internal Internship program
- Mentoring program
- Professional development and career workshops
- Leadership opportunities through Institute committees and the student association
For detailed Program information:
Our multidisciplinary PhD program offers students the opportunity to develop valuable skills to prepare them for a dynamic scientific career. Being affiliated with a PhD Program augments your research experience with available Program activites.
To participate in the Medical Biology PhD program students must have a WEHI-based supervisor. Our students have the opportunity to be affiliated with other discipline specific programs.
If you interested in commencing a PhD, see details of the candidature application process here.
If you are currently enrolled in a PhD and are interested in participating in the Medical Biology PhD Program, contact our Scientific Education Office via email:
For more information about our Program and how to be part of it, please contact:
Scientific Education Administrator
Dr Keely Bumsted O’Brien
Head, Scientific Education Office
The Department of Medical Biology is within the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, located at 1G Royal Parade, Parkville, Victoria, Australia.