Transitions18 North America Research Symposium
Canyon View High School, Phoenix, Arizona, United States.Map
Transitions is a trans disciplinary, research symposium focusing on innovative learning environments in schools and higher education. Transitions 2017 opened the door to an international conversation about realizing the potential of innovative learning spaces, Transitions18 is continuing the conversation. Background on this event is here.
Transitions18 in Phoenix will be a 2 day event showcasing research by graduate students, academics and professionals on a wide range of topics on teacher transition to innovative learning spaces.
The program will include an opening and closing keynote by Philip Idle, EIW Architects and A4LE Chair Elect (International) and presentations by leading researchers and practitioners in education/architecture and design including:
- Andrew Kim and Aileen Strickland – USA (Steelcase Education). Findings from the Educator experience project.
- Chris Bradbeer – NZ (University of Melbourne) Enacting teacher collaboration in Innovative Learning Environments: Reifying pedagogical ‘ownership’
- Dina Sorensen – USA (DLR Group & American Institute of Architects, Committee on Architecture for Education)
- Lennie Scott-Webber – USA (INSYNC :: Education Research + Design) Student Engagement Index© Research for Grades 9-12: Third Pilot in a Series.
- Michael Stewart – USA (University of Arizona) Reimagining Educator Preparation from the Community to the Classroom.
- Nick Salmon – USA (University of Montana) Lessons from a seasoned furniture whisperer
- Anna Peterson – Canada (Queens University) Inhabiting educational design: Leveraging teachers’ lived-experience
- Taryn Kinney – USA (Columbia University) Applying Organizational Change Model to Educational Transition
- A/Prof. Wesley Imms & Dr Marian Mahat – Australia (University of Melbourne). Innovative learning environments and teacher change – findings from our first 2 years.
- … and many more..
There will also be the opportunity to tour the newly opened Canyon View High School.
TRANSITIONS 18 will explore:
What are teachers doing (well) when transitioning from traditional classrooms to innovative learning
- What strategies are teachers using that are working in ILEs?
- How do teachers adjust to changes in learning spaces?
- How might we enable people, practice, and place when transitioning from traditional classrooms to innovative learning environments?
- What examples are there of effective learning environments in schools?
- What are the challenges for teachers/students in adapting to new spaces?
Be part of a growing international network of educators, architects, researchers and peak groups, researching and working to build understanding of how learning spaces influence teaching and learning in schools, hospitals, universities and libraries.
The Innovative Learning Environments and Teacher Change (ILETC) is LEaRN's active Australian Research Council (ARC) Linkage Project funded from 2016-2019 and lead by The University of Melbourne.
Image credit: Missouri Innovation Campus by Gould Evans-Architecture. Photo by Michael Robinson.