Transitions18 Europe Research Symposium
University College UCC, Campus Carlsberg, Humletorvet 3 1799 Copenhagen V DenmarkMap
Transitions is a trans disciplinary, research symposium focusing on innovative learning environments in schools and higher education. Transitions 2017 opened the door to an international conversation about realizing the potential of innovative learning spaces, Transitions18 is continuing the conversation. Background on this event is here.
Transitions18 in Copenhagen will be a 2 day event showcasing research by graduate students, academics and professionals on a wide range of topics on teacher transition to innovative learning spaces.
The program will include opening and closing keynote by Dr Julia Atkin, education & learning consultant (Learning by Design) and presentations by leading researchers and practitioners in education/architecture and design including:
- Prof. Bridget Shield & Prof. Julie Dockrell – UK (London South Bank University) The need for an appropriate acoustic environment for teaching and learning.
- Dina Sorensen – USA (DLR Group & American Institute of Architects, Committee on Architecture for Education) Healthy, Active Design Guidelines for School Architecture: A Collaborative Research Model for Architecture, Public Health & Education.
- Mariagrazia Marcarini – Italy (University of Bergamo) The students redesign their school (with teachers): heart, mind, hand.
- Mie Guldbæk Brøns – Denmark (Loop.bz) Professional collaboration in teaching teams – sharing students, space and time.
- A/Prof. Neuza Pedro – Portugal (University of Lisbon) – Future Classrooms Labs in Portugal: a descriptive study on the learning spaces and pedagogical projects behind Portuguese Innovative Learning Environments.
- A/Prof. Wesley Imms & Dr Marian Mahat – Australia (University of Melbourne). Innovative learning environments and teacher change – findings from our first 2 years.
- … and many more..
Each session will include extended discussion and opportunities for questions. Expert facilitation will be provided by Chris Bradbeer (ILETC Research Fellow, Associate Principal Stonefields School (NZ) & Learning Environments Australasia Chair Elect).
TRANSITIONS 18 will explore:
What are teachers doing (well) when transitioning from traditional classrooms to innovative learning
- What strategies are teachers using that are working in ILEs?
- How do teachers adjust to changes in learning spaces?
- How might we enable people, practice, and place when transitioning from traditional classrooms to innovative learning environments?
- What examples are there of effective learning environments in schools?
- What are the challenges for teachers/students in adapting to new spaces?
Be part of a growing international network of educators, architects, researchers and peak groups, researching and working to build understanding of how learning spaces influence teaching and learning in schools, hospitals, universities and libraries.
The Innovative Learning Environments and Teacher Change (ILETC) is LEaRN's active Australian Research Council (ARC) Linkage Project funded from 2016-2019 and lead by The University of Melbourne.
Image credit: Hiukkavaara School by Lukkaroinen Architects. Photo by Juha Sarkkinen.