Research Computing Services offer specialised computing services to support the University’s researchers across all disciplines.
Research Computing Services helps our researchers find the best options for creating, analysing, collecting and managing their data. We also provide onboarding support for our platforms and systems.
We operate and manage the University’s research computing infrastructure and facilitate access to national super computing services such as NCI (National Computational Infrastructure) and national cloud service (Nectar Research Cloud).
The University provides on-campus services including:
- High performance / large scale computing (central processing unit (CPU) and general purpose graphics processing unit (GPGPU)) for demanding computational operations
- Maintaining over 700 software applications for undertaking data analytics on the University’s systems
- Operating the Melbourne Research Cloud, which offers a suite of on-demand virtualised (cloud) computing resources
- Data storage solutions tailored to researchers’ needs including retention and recoverability.
- 6000 cores of high-performance computing (CPU-based) platform
- 300 nodes of GPGPU computing platform for artificial intelligence and machine learning applications
- 25 000 virtual cores of cloud computing providing access to on-demand computation capacity
- Four petabytes of computational storage to support research activity on our cloud computing and high-performance computing platforms
- Over 10 petabytes of research data storage that provides protection, security and compliance for research data and collections, including robust retention and recoverability services
- Access to 10 000 000 service units (SU) at the national supercomputing service (NCI)
- Access to 5000 virtual cores of national cloud computing service (in the Melbourne Node of the Nectar Research Cloud).
The platform is only available to members of the University of Melbourne research community and is offered at no direct cost to researchers. Consultancy and workshops are offered free-of-charge.
Our services are tightly coupled to the University’s large data producing instrument platforms, where we ensure data is securely transported to appropriate storage or computational environments or prepared for delivery to external research partners.
Dr Stephen Giugni OAM
Phone: +61 466 447 861
More information on this platform can be found on the Research Gateway, which is available to all University of Melbourne academic and honorary staff, graduate researchers and professional staff. Please note, to access the Research Gateway, you will need to login with your University of Melbourne username and password.