The Melbourne Data Analytics Platform (MDAP) provides University of Melbourne researchers with data analytics, data science, software engineering and data stewardship support to enhance their research impact.
We help researchers develop the necessary tools and resources for navigating this fast-paced era of data analytics.
Our team of twenty research data specialists and research data stewards collaborate with academics across all disciplines on data-intensive research. We also assist with computation and infrastructure needs.
We are currently working with:
- Dr Khandis Blake (Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences) to interrogate an eight-year dataset of around six billion Tweets to understand how social media sentiment relates to real-world problems like gendered hate speech, domestic violence and mental illness;
- Professor Jeannie Paterson (Law) to use Natural Language Processing to automatically extract information from legal judgments;
- Associate Professor Malte Meinshausen (Science) to reformat large quantities of specialised data to make it compatible with tools commonly used to inform climate science and decision making.
We work with academics via collaborations, expert advice, advocacy, and short-term research projects.
Our team has experience in a diverse range of disciplines:
- High performance and cloud computing
- Natural language processing
- Machine learning
- Data analysis
- Data management and curation.
We offer two primary streams of engagement:
- Collaboration: an allocation scheme for formal collaborative research projects lasting at least three months, with twice yearly open calls
- Consultancy, expert advice, advocacy and involvement in shorter term research projects.
Collaborations, advice and consultancy are offered free-of-charge to University of Melbourne academic researchers and graduate research students.
The platform can be used in conjunction with:
Phone: +61 3 8344 0707
More information on this platform can be found on the Research Gateway, which is available to all University of Melbourne academic and honorary staff, graduate researchers and professional staff. Please note, to access the Research Gateway, you will need to login with your University of Melbourne username and password.