We work with key stakeholders in urban governance to provide evidence, build capacity and offer advice on the global dynamics shaping the leadership of cities. We offer reliable and innovative sources of applied urban research, producing both policy material, practice-oriented education and scholarly reviews. Connected Cities Lab specialises on the ways networks, international processes and information influence urban governance, and strives to link academic research to practical needs.
News & Events
Wednesday 1:00pm - 2:00pmCities, Coffee, Chat with Carlo RattiEvent
Our researchers visited Freetown to work with the Sierra Leone Urban Research Centre in activating local platforms for urban equality at community and city wide scales.News
City benchmarking is not just for the headlines, it shapes cities' global imaginary. Scientific American [paywall].News
Our Enterprise Senior Fellow in Informed Cities, Cathy Oke, on why Melbourne needs a green-roof revolution.opinion
Research and data are increasingly at the heart of how we conceive of urban governance. Yet overall, the global state of data-informed urban governance remains underdeveloped. It is time for a step change, writes Prof Michele Acuto.opinion
Could a 24-hour economy improve your quality of life? ABC RN talks to Prof Michele Acuto about perceptions of the night and how round-the-clock neighbourhoods could look and function.News
Do more aggressive and unknown outbreaks lie in our future? Prof Michele Acuto talks to BBC Radio.News
Lab Director, Michele Acuto discusses the 'infinite scroll' and the increasing need for data centres.News
Lab Director, Prof Michele Acuto on why mayors need Chief Exploration Officers (CXOs) to lead the search for solutions to issues of health and sustainability. Scientific American [paywall].opinion
Should city research be led by cities?
Do cities need foreign policies?
The networked frontier of city leadership
City Resilience Strategies
City actions contributing to resilient urban futures
How do cities think of each other?
Evidence to Action (E2A)
How can we enable healthy child-friendly cities?
Knowledge in Action for Urban Equality
Can we co-produce more equal cities?
Is urban governance delivering on its promises?
Science and the Future of Cities
A Nature Sustainability Expert Panel
Leveraging urban data to shape cities
- Professor Michele Acuto, Lab Director and Professor of Global Urban Politics
- Kate Murray, Lab Coordinator
- Stephanie Butcher, Postdoctoral Fellow in International Urban Politics
- Pablo Fuentenebro Alonso, Postdoctoral Fellow in International Urban Politics
- Ihnji Jon, Lecturer in International Urban Politics
- Inderlina Mateo-Babiano, Senior Lecturer in Urban Planning
- Cathy Oke, Enterprise Senior Fellow in Informed Cities
- Paris Hadfield, Research Assistant in Resilient Cities
- Thomas Jacobs, Research Assistant in Evidence to Action
- Anna Kosovac, Lab Fellow in Innovate for Cities
- Darcy Gunning, Faculty of Arts – "International Political Economy and Global Governance"
- Daniel Pejic, Architecture, Building and Planning – "Comparative Imaginations" Lab Scholarship
- Jana Perkovic, Architecture, Building and Planning – "Politics of Global Urbanism" Lab Scholarship
Visiting Scholars and Practitioners
- Joyati Das, Senior Visiting Fellow and Co-Lead on Botnar Evidence to Action
- The Business of Cities, The Comparative Imagination
- Chicago Council on Global Affairs, City Diplomacy
- The Economist Intelligence Unit, The Comparative Imagination
- Fondation Botnar, Evidence to Action
- International Sustainability Unit, Science and the Future of Cities
- Nature Sustainability, Science and the Future of Cities
- University College London, Knowledge in Action for Urban Equality
- UCL Grand Challenge for Sustainable Cities, Science and the Future of Cities
Get in touch: urban research is an inherently collaborative endeavour!
Propose a project or raise a pressing issue for the Lab’s team to tackle via quantitative and qualitative urban analysis: testing methods with real-world applications. Propose a Melbourne School of Design studio partnership on a key issue of international urban planning/governance for your city, industry or programContact
Join our Lab Visitors programme as a Practitioner in Residence or a PhD Impact FellowLearn more
Engage with the Lab’s professional education in city leadership, urban governance and negotiation. Support a Melbourne School of Design doctoral or master scholar to work on a pressing challenge that currently shapes your practice.Contact
Join the conversation and keep up with all the Lab happenings through our Twitter account @networkedcitiesView