- Wednesday 11 January 2017
Applications open in RGMS
- Monday 30 January 2017
1st Internal date for review by RIC
- Thursday 23 February 2017
Final submission due to RIC
The purpose of NHMRC Early Career Fellowships (ECFs) is to provide opportunities for Australian researchers to undertake research that is both of major importance in its field and of benefit to Australian health.
A major objective of the scheme is to foster career development at the postdoctoral level by encouraging the beneficial experience of a different research environment.
ECFs provide for advanced training in health and medical research either in Australia or overseas (where appropriate), to enable Fellows to work on research projects with nominated advisers. Awards are offered to a limited number of persons of outstanding ability who wish to make research a significant component of their career.
Research, Innovation & Commercialisation (RIC) has a Submission Procedure for Major ARC/NHMRC Grants Rounds. Please review the scheme specific details prior to submitting your application as it will be strictly adhered to.
How to apply
Submit a Notice of Intent (NOI)
The NOI should be completed early to provide RIC with CIA contact details.
Complete/update RGMS Profile and CV
The CI will need to obtain access to RGMS to complete this step.
Review the funding documents
The CI should read the NHMRC All Schemes and Scheme Specific: Funding Rules, Advice and Instructions to Applicants and Guide to Peer Review documents. These documents can be found in the Supporting Documents below.
Complete draft application in RGMS
A pre-formatted Microsoft Word template for the Grant Proposal should be downloaded from the NHMRC website. Applicants must use this template to complete their Grant Proposal without changing the formatting in any way, as this could render applicants ineligible.
Email a 'Review Ready' application to RIC
Email a draft application to RIC for review. A hardcopy is not required.
- Use the ‘Request Latest Snapshot Report’ function in RGMS.
- Email two snapshot reports, the draft Grant Proposal (as a PDF) and other relevant attachments. A UOM Authority to Submit form is not required at this stage.
RIC will send an email upon receipt
Complete the application after feedback
After taking feedback from RIC into consideration, complete the application in RGMS. It is suggested advice is sought from colleagues, Faculty Mentors, etc. before finalising the application.
Applying for Heart Foundation or MS Research Australia co-funding?
If applying for co-funding with either of these organisations, a separate application must be made to them in addition to ticking the co-funding option in your NHMRC fellowship application. Heart Foundation and MS Research Australia application closing dates are to be advised.
Review and submission of Heart Foundation and MS Research Australia applications will managed as a separate process in 2017 due to the variation in application deadlines. Further information on applying for Heart Foundation and MS Research Australia applications will be made available via Research Professional shortly.
Certify the application in RGMS
Certify the application via the 'CI Certification' function in RGMS. Snapshot reports will be automatically generated - please wait for these to be produced. The application will be locked once certified and the status will then be 'Submitted to RAO'.
Submit the UOM Authority to Submit form
CIA to submit a fully completed UOM Authority to Submit form to RIC by email (*NEW PROCESS*) before 5pm on the final internal closing date. The form should be one PDF document and should include:
- Completed compliance and eligibility section
- Signature of the CI and Head of Department/Institute Director.
A hard copy of the RGMS application is not required
Note that this is an NHMRC requirement and the application cannot be submitted to NHMRC until RIC receives this form.
RIC will submit the application
Once the application has been submitted to the NHMRC, the CIA will receive RGMS notification.
**To access documentation on NHMRC webpage use menu on left side webpage and scroll down to relevant item**
- Funding Rules: All Schemes and ECF Fellowship (applicants must refer to both)
- Advice and Instructions to Applicants: All Schemes and ECF Fellowship specific (applicants must refer to both)
- Key Changes and Important Information for ECF's
- Grant Proposal Template (download from NHMRC webpage - mandatory use)
- Peer Review Guidelines: All Schemes and Scheme Specific (applicants must refer to both)
- Research Classifications and NHMRC Keywords
- RGMS Character Count online tool
- RGMS Offline Forms (review via RGMS entry only)
- RGMS User Guides
- ECF's Co-Funding Partners (download from NHMRC webpage)
- ECF Supervisor Report Template (NO RGMS profile and WITH RGMS profile) (download from NHMRC webpage)
- Copies of previously successful ECF Fellowship applications can be accessed via UOM login in the ARC & NHMRC Successful Grants Application Library. Applicants without UOM login should contact RIC staff via email to request copies.
- List of Faculty Grant Coordinators/Mentors
- Questions and primary email
|Emily Fero||+61 3 8344 0821|
|Anna Giannios||+61 3 8344 2608|