- Now - Monday 5 December 2016
**Request for Business Development Support (refer to instructions below under "Support documents")
- Wednesday 16 November 2016
Applications open in RGMS
- Wednesday 11 January 2017
Internal date for review by RIC
- Wednesday 18 January 2017
Minimum Data due
- Wednesday 25 January 2017
Final submission due to RIC
The Development Grants scheme provides financial support to individual researchers and/or research teams to undertake health and medical research within Australia at the proof-of-concept stage that specifically drives towards a commercial outcome within a foreseeable timeframe.
Early stage research or knowledge creation research will not be funded through the Development Grants scheme. Applicants are
advised to consider directing such research proposals to the Project Grants scheme.
Research that aims to improve the health and health care outcomes which targets an unmet or poorly met healthcare need for Australians is highly valued. Partnerships with industry/commercial partner/s for the proposed research are not essential at the application stage. However, applicants must provide comprehensive evidence of their strategies to commercialise their product and bring it to market.
Research supported by this scheme must have experimental data that supports a demonstrated proof-of-concept. The application must be supported by a detailed and feasible commercialisation business case that takes into account the regulatory pathway, protectable IP, commercial barriers and potential pathways to market.
Important information and changes to the Development Grant scheme can be found on the NHMRC website.
How to apply
Steps to be completed by Chief Investigator A (CIA):
Submit a Notice of Intent (NOI)
The NOI should be completed early to provide RIC with CIA contact details.
Complete/update RGMS Profile and CV
Each CI will need to obtain access to RGMS to complete this step.
Review the funding documents
The CIA should read the NHMRC Funding Rules, Key Changes and Advice and Instructions to Applicants, as well as review the UoM Lodgement Form and UoM Authority to Submit form.
Complete draft application
Complete the draft application in RGMS.
Strategic review of your Grant proposal is also available.
Email a draft application to RIC
Email a draft application to RIC for review. A hardcopy is not required.
- Use the ‘Request Latest Snapshot Report’ function in RGMS.
- Email two snapshot reports and the draft Grant Proposal (as a PDF). A UOM Authority to Submit form is not required at this stage.
- Confirm in your email if you would like a strategic review of your Grant Proposal. This review will be conducted by external consultant Graeme Steed and the relevant RICE Business Development Director.
- RIC will send an email upon receipt.
Complete the application after feedback
After taking feedback from RIC into consideration, complete the application in RGMS. Upload all documents and referee reports as outlined in Advice and Instructions to Applicants, paying special attention to formatting requirements. It is suggested to seek advice from colleagues, Faculty Mentors, etc. before finalising the application.
Certify the application in RGMS
Certify the application via the ‘CI Certification’ function in RGMS. Snapshot reports will be automatically generated, please wait for these to be produced. The application will be locked once certified and status then will be Submitted to RAO.
Submit the UOM Authority to Submit form
Submit a UOM Authority to Submit form in one pdf document via email to RIC before 5.00pm on the final internal closing date. The form should include:
- CIA and Head of Department/Institute Director signatures
- Written evidence (e.g. email) from all CIs and AIs. This evidence must clearly state the application ID number and include the relevant "I certify..." text provided in the Authority to Submit form. All written evidence must be combined in one pdf document with the completed Authority to Submit form .
A hardcopy of the RGMS application is not required.
Note that this is an NHMRC requirement and the application cannot be submitted to NHMRC until RIC receives this form.
RIC will submit the application
RIC will submit the application NHMRC and the CIA will receive RGMS notification when this has been done.
- NHMRC Development Grant
- Funding Rules: All Schemes and Development Grant Specific (applicants must refer to both - navigate using menu on left hand side of NHMRC page)
- Advice and Instructions to Applicants: All Schemes and Development Grant Specific (applicants must refer to both - navigate using menu on left hand side of NHMRC page)
- Important information for applicants including key changes
- Development Grant Category Descriptors
- Grant Proposal Template
- NHMRC Budget Mechanism
- Direct Research Costs Guidelines (DRCs)
- RGMS Character Count online tool
- RGMS CV and Profile requirements for Development Grants
- Peer Review All schemes and Development grant specific (applicants must refer to both - navigate using menu on left hand side of NHMRC page)
- Research Classifications
- Authority to Submit form
- Suggested wording for CI & AI written consent
- Copies of previous successful Development Grant applications held in the RIC library
- List of Faculty Grant Coordinators/Mentors
- **Request for Business Development Support
To be eligible for this support you must have a committed partner. To request business development support email: email@example.com before 5th December 2016. Please refer to this outline of the Business Development support available to University of Melbourne applicants only.
- Questions and primary email
- Anne Coco
- T: +61 3 8344 8265