- Monday 8 May 2017
- 9.00am (AEST)
- Monday 19 June 2017
- 11.59pm (AEST)
- By end August 2017
Notification of outcomes
Sir Edward Woodward, a former University Chancellor, and Lady Woodward have established two medals for staff at the University with support from the Office of the Vice-Chancellor. The two awards – the Woodward Medal in Science and Technology and the Woodward Medal in Humanities and Social Sciences – are awarded annually to a member of staff for research published in the five years leading up to 31 December of the preceding year. The research must have made a significant contribution to knowledge in a field of science and technology or humanities and social sciences.
In 2017, awardees of each medal will receive a cash award of $10,000.
- Candidates must be members of staff at The University of Melbourne.
- The form of publication may be a book, a refereed journal article or a suite of related books and/or articles published electronically or in hard copy, or other creative work published in an appropriate digital medium in the preceding five years.
- Although not mandatory, preference will be given to work completed at The University of Melbourne.
- Members of staff may self-nominate or be nominated by an independent colleague. Where applicants are self-nominated, a statement from their Head of Department or senior University colleague about the nature of the work is desirable.
- Where the nominated publication is a multi-authored work, the candidate must explicitly clarify their individual contribution (see Part B5 of the application form).
How to apply
Complete the nomination form
Submit the nomination form to RIC
Submit the nomination form, supporting documentation and electronic copies (where applicable) of publications to RIC via email with the subject heading '2016 WOODWARD MEDAL NOMINATION - Candidate Name' by the due date.
Send hard-copy books to RIC
If applicable, send any nominated hard-copy books to:
Research, Innovation and Commercialisation
Level 5, 161 Barry Street
Carlton VIC 3010
Please note that any unrequested hard-copy materials (i.e. any material that is not a nominated book) that are submitted to RIC will not be assessed by the Committee and will be returned to the candidate.
***APPLICATION DOCUMENTS FOR 2018 AWARDS WILL BE RELEASED ON MONDAY 8 MAY 2017***
- Woodward Medals questions and primary email