- 22 September 2016
2018 Funding Rules Released
- 23 January 2017
Proposals open in RMS
- 15 March 2017
Submit review ready application to RIC
- 13 March 2017
Request not to assess due to RIC
- 15 March 2017
Request not to assess due to the ARC
- 24 March 2017
Final Application Submission due to RIC
- 29 March 2017
Final Applications due to ARC
- October/ November 2017
The Discovery Indigenous scheme provides funding to Administering Organisations to support research programs led by an Indigenous Australian researcher and to build the research capacity of higher degree research and early career researchers. The scheme aims to:
- Develop the research expertise of Indigenous Australian researchers
- Support fundamental research and research training by Indigenous Australian researchers as individuals and as teams
- Support and retain established Indigenous Australian researchers in Australian higher education institutions
- Expand Australia’s knowledge base and research capability.
The scheme provides $30,000-$500,000 funding per annum for three years. Project costs can be used to hire research personnel, support HDR students, support Indigenous Australian Honours students, or fund teaching relief, equipment, consumables, Field Research, Travel, and dissemination costs. A Discovery Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Awards (DAATSIA) may be requested for one researcher per proposal to devote more time to the project. DAATSIA funding may be requested at one of five salary levels. See section E of the Funding Rules for more information.
How to apply
Submit a Notice of Intent (NOI)
The NOI should be completed early to provide RIC with CIA contact details.
Update RMS 2.0 profile
Review the Discovery Indigenous Funding Rules and the Instructions to Applicants. These documents are available under the Support documents tab.
Complete the draft application in RMS 2.0
Log on to RMS 2.0 to complete the draft application.
Submit 'Review ready' application to RIC
Submit application via email to RIC within the RIC internal submission period. Include the following:
- PDF copy of the complete review ready draft application
- RIC review coversheet
- If applicable, the applicant should include an electronic copy of the Request Not to Assess form if they would like to request the exclusion of a potential assessor. Email this to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note that international and interstate applicants may also email a pdf copy of their application and coversheet to email@example.com
Two RIC staff members will review the application and provide the applicant with feedback via email.
Complete the application
After taking feedback from the RIC team into consideration, complete the application in RMS 2.0. It is suggested advice is sought from colleagues, Faculty Mentors, etc. before finalising the application.
Submit the UOM Authority to Submit form
The form must be submitted to RIC in hardcopy before 5:00pm on the final internal closing date. This form should include:
- Complete the compliance and eligibility section
- Signature of all CIs and PIs
- Signature of the Head of Department for each CI
- Signature of the CEO (or delegate) for all Australian-based PIs
Electronic signatures are permitted.
This is an ARC requirement and the application cannot be submitted to ARC until received.
Before 5:00pm on the final internal Closing date, the applicant must:
- Submit final application by clicking ‘Submit to Research Office’ in RMS 2.0
- Email RIC firstname.lastname@example.org) a pdf copy of the final application and a scanned, signed Authority to Submit form
Note: Applications without a completed Authority to Submit form cannot be submitted to the ARC
RIC will submit the application
Once the application has been submitted to ARC, you will receive an email from RIC confirming submission.
A 'review ready' draft application
- RMS Profile for personnel
- Section A - Admin Summary
- Section B - Classifications/Statistical Info
- Section C - Include Role of Personnel, Project Research Environment, Communication of Results and Management of Data. The completed draft may exclude the Aims/Background/Research Project.
- Section C2 and C3 - Medical Research Statement
- Section D - Project Cost
- Section E - Budget Justifications
- Section F - Personnel and ROPE
- Section G - Research Support
- The ARC Discovery Indigenous website
- Discovery Indigenous Funding Rules (NEW: 28 Sep 2016)
- Changes to the 2018 Funding Rules (NEW: 28 Sep 2016)
- Cross-Scheme Eligibility FAQs (NEW: 17 Oct 2016)
- Instructions to Applicants 2018
- FAQs 2018
- ARC Medical/Dental Definition
- Authority to Submit form
- Salary scales
- F12 – Grant table after publication list template
- G – Research Support table template
How to write a rejoinder
- Rejoinder fact sheet Updated June 16 2016
- Rejoinder information session slides New June 20 2016
- Rejoinder information session recording 2015 seminar - 2016 recording coming soon
- Rejoinder information session slide video with recording
- Rejoinder Information session 2017 Seminar to be held on 15 June 2016.
- Discovery Indigenous questions and primary email
|Angela Baklavas-Kottaras||+61 3 8344 2018|
|Annabel Cookson||+61 3 8344 2061|