- 22 September 2016
Funding rules for 2018 released
- 16 January 2017
Proposals open in RMS
- 1 February 2017
RIC ARC DECRA Seminar - register here
- 10 February 2017
Eligibility Exemption Request due to RIC (if applicable)
- Submission Period 21 February 2017 - 23 February 2017
Submit review ready application to RIC
- 6 March 2017
Request not to assess due to RIC
- 16 March 2017
Final Application Submission due to RIC
- 22 March 2017
Final Applications due to ARC
Rejoinders due to RIC in RMS by 5pm
- October/ November 2016
Discovery Early Career Researcher Awards (DECRA) supports early career researchers who have typically received their PhD in the last five years or have eligible commensurate career disruption.
The DECRA scheme aims to:
- Support excellent basic and applied research by early career researchers;
- Advance promising early career researchers and promote enhanced opportunities for diverse career pathways;
- Enable research and research training in high quality and supportive environments;
- Expand Australia's knowledge base and research capability; and
- Enhance the scale and focus of research in the Science and Research Priorities.
The ARC Grants Team from Research Innovation and Commercialisation will soon be holding a seminar where we will provide information on the submissions process, major changes and advice on completing the 2018 DECRA application.
When: Wednesday, 1 February 2017 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM (AEDT)
Where: FBE-G06 (Prest Theatre) - 111 Barry Street, Carlton. University of Melbourne.
The scheme provides funding for up to 200 projects per round. Funding is awarded by the ARC of up to $139,969 per annum for three years, with a per annum salary contribution of $99,369 including 30 per cent on-costs and up to $40,000 project costs per annum. Project costs can be used to hire research
assistants, support HDR students, or fund equipment, consumables, Field Research, Travel, and dissemination costs. See section D of the Funding Rules for more information.
Establishment Grants for ARC DECRA
Establishment Grants are internal grants to support ARC DECRA applicants at the University of Melbourne. Details for the 2018 scheme are to be confirmed and will be available on the establishment grant page.
How to apply
Submit a Notice of Intent (NOI)
The NOI should be completed early to provide RIC with DECRA candidate contact details.
Update RMS profile
Review the DECRA Funding Rules and the Instructions to Applicants. These documents are available under the Supporting documents tab.
Complete the draft application
Log on to RMS to complete the draft application.
Work on the Strategic Statement in respect of the Research Environment with your supervisor and department/faculty. The Head of Department must certify the Strategic Statement Coversheet before submission to RIC.
Eligibility Exemption Request
If applicable, complete the Eligibility Exemption Request form. This is a spreadsheet that details career interruptions for applicants whose PhD was awarded prior to 1 March 2012.
This form must be sent to email@example.com by 10 February 2017 so that RIC can arrange for the DVC(R) to certify eligibility.
Submit 'Review ready' application to RIC
Submit application to RIC firstname.lastname@example.org within the RIC internal submission period. Include the following:
- An electronic copy of the complete review ready draft application
- An electronic copy (i.e. Microsoft Word document) of the Strategic Statement, using the template letterhead provided.
- If applicable, the applicant should include an electronic copy of the Request Not to Assess form if they would like to request the exclusion of a potential assessor.
Note that international and interstate applicants may email a pdf copy of their application and coversheet to email@example.com
Two RIC staff members will review the application and provide the applicant with feedback via email.
Complete the application
After taking feedback from the RIC team into consideration, complete the application in RMS. It is suggested advice is sought from colleagues, Faculty Mentors, etc. before finalising the application.
Submit the UOM Authority to Submit form
The form must be submitted to RIC via email to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5:00pm on the final internal closing date. This form should include:
- Complete the compliance and eligibility section
- Signature of all CIs and PIs
- Signature of the Head of Department for each CI
- Signature of the CEO (or delegate) for all Australian-based PIs
Electronic signatures are permitted.
This is an ARC requirement and the application cannot be submitted to ARC until received.
Before 5:00pm on the final internal Closing date, the applicant must:
- Submit final application by clicking ‘Submit to Research Office’ in RMS
- Email RIC (email@example.com) a pdf copy of the final application and a scanned, signed Authority to Submit form
Note: Applications without a completed Authority to Submit form cannot be submitted to the ARC
RIC will submit the application
Once the application has been submitted to ARC, you will receive an email from RIC confirming submission.
A 'review ready' draft application
- RMS Profile for personnel
- Section A - Admin Summary
- Section B - Classifications/ Statistical Info
- Section C - Personnel and ROPE
- Section D - Include Project Research Environment, DECRA Candidate and Management of Data. The completed draft may exclude the Aims and Background/ Project Quality and Innovation/ Feasibility and Benefit.
- Section D2 - Strategic Statement
- Section D3 and D4 - Medical Research Statement
- Section E - Project Cost
- Section F - Budget Justifications
- Section G - Research Support and Statements of Progress
- The ARC DECRA website
- Funding Rules for DECRA commencing in 2018
- Summary of Major Changes to Funding Rules
- Cross Scheme Eligibility FAQs
- Instructions to Applicants and FAQs - NEW 16 Jan 2017
- ARC Medical Policy
It is important that you review this definition if your proposal is aimed at understanding or treating a human disease or health condition. If you are still unsure, please seek advice from colleagues/mentors.
- ARC Request Not to Assess form
- Draft Funding Agreement
- ARC Medical Research Policy
- ARC College of Experts
- Australian Government Science and Research Priorities
- Notice of Intent (NOI)
- 2018 DECRA seminar registration (Wed. 1 February 2017, 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm, FBE-G06 (Prest Theatre), 111 Barry Street, University of Melbourne)
Preparing a DECRA application:
- Grants Library of Successful Applications (Uni Login Required)
- RIC DECRA seminar presentation slides (2016 seminar. 2018 seminar is to be held 1 Feb 2017, and will be made available online)
- RIC DECRA seminar presentation audio
- RIC Authority to Submit Form
- RIC Eligibility Exemption Form. This is to be completed where an applicant's PhD was awarded prior to 1 March 2012.
- 2017 Strategic Statement Coversheet to be signed by the Head of Department/School*
- 2017 DECRA D2 Strategic Statement Guide*
- 2017 D2 Template Letterhead*
- DECRA Applicant Guide*
- Salary Scales and Budget Preparation Spreadsheet*
- Question F1 Budget Justification template*
- Part G Research Support template*
- RIC DECRA 2016 Information Seminar*
- Information on how to complete Management of Data in section D1.
* RIC documents for 2018 DECRA coming soon, pending release of Instructions to Applicants 16 Jan 2017
- DECRA questions and primary email
|Elizabeth Morfe||+61 3 8344 2064|
|Leah Mount||+61 3 8344 2012|