- Wednesday 10 January 2018
Applications open in RGMS
- TBA 2018
New Investigator Eligibility Application due
- Thursday 15 February 2018
1st Internal date for review by RIC (15 - 17 Feb)
- Wednesday 14 February 2018
Minimum Data due
- Wednesday 7 March 2018
Final submission due to RIC
Transitional arrangement information for new Grant Program including 2018 application caps.
The information below is based on the 2017 application round – only the critical dates have been amended, the remaining information will be updated once the 2018 Funding Rules are released.
The objective of the Project Grants scheme is to support the creation of new knowledge by funding the best investigator-initiated research project plan of five years or less, in any area relevant to human health.
A Project Grant application must outline a research proposal that describes the investigation of a new research idea(s). The proposal must support a particular set of aims and the budget must be directed to those aims. Single investigators or teams of up to 10 Chief Investigators (CIs) are supported as well as New Investigators (early career investigators).
Applicants can choose whether to apply for funding from only one or several organisations that offer funding through the NHMRC Project Grants scheme. Applications for the following funding bodies will be required to complete Supplementary Questions in addition to the standard NHMRC Project Grants application:
- Cancer Council Victoria funds projects between one and three years, providing up to $100,000 per annum
- Cancer Australia varies between the three funding categories, funding projects between one and three years and providing up to $100,000 or $200,000 per annum depending on the category.
Research, Innovation & Commercialisation (RIC) has a Submission Procedure for Major ARC/NHMRC Grants Rounds. Please review the scheme specific details prior to submitting your application as it will be strictly adhered to.
How to apply
Submit a Notice of Intent (NOI)
The NOI should be completed early to provide RIC with CIA contact details.
Complete/update RGMS Profile and CV
The CI will need to obtain access to RGMS to complete this step.
Review the funding documents
The CI should read the NHMRC All Schemes and Scheme Specific: Funding Rules, Advice and Instructions to Applicants and Guide to Peer Review documents. These documents can be found in the Supporting documents below.
Complete draft application in RGMS
Complete the draft application in RGMS. A mandatory pre-formatted Microsoft Word template for the Grant Proposal should be downloaded from the NHMRC website. We suggest the formatting in this template is not amended as this could render applicants ineligible.
Email a 'Review ready' application to RIC
Email a draft application to RIC for review. A hardcopy is not required.
- Use the ‘Request Latest Snapshot Report’ function in RGMS.
- Email two snapshot reports and the draft Grant Proposal (as a PDF). A UOM Authority to Submit form is not required at this stage. Confirm whether Gold/Silver review required - refer to Submissions Procedure for details of different levels of service.
- If applicable, also email Supplementary Questions for Cancer Australia and Cancer Council Victoria.
RIC will send an email upon receipt.
Complete the application after feedback
After taking feedback from RIC into consideration, complete the application in RGMS. It is suggested advice is sought from colleagues, Faculty Mentors, etc. before finalising the application.
Certify the application in RGMS
Certify the application via the ‘CI Certification’ function in RGMS. Snapshot reports will be automatically generated, please wait for these to be produced. The application will be locked once certified and status then will be Submitted to RAO.
Cancer Australia and/or Cancer Council Victoria Supplementary Question forms
The Cancer Australia and/or Cancer Council Victoria Supplementary Question forms must be provided to RIC as a .doc or .docx file once the application has been certified in RGMS.
UOM Authority to Submit form
CIA to submit a fully completed UOM Authority to Submit form to RIC by email (*NEW PROCESS*) before 5pm on the final internal closing date. The form should be one PDF document and should include:
- Completed compliance and eligibility section
- Signature of the CI and Head of Department/Institute Director.
- Written evidence (e.g. email) from all CIs and AIs. This evidence must clearly state the application ID number and include the relevant "I certify..." text provided in the Authority to Submit form. Suggested wording is provided in the accompanying support document. All written evidence must be attached to the finished Authority to Submit form in order of CI/AI listing with the other signatures.
A hardcopy of the RGMS application is not required.
Note that obtaining signatures/consents is an NHMRC requirement and the application cannot be submitted to NHMRC until RIC receives this form.
RIC to submit the application to NHMRC
RIC will then submit the application to NHMRC and CIA will receive a RGMS notification once this has been done.
- NHMRC Project Grant webpage
**To access documentation on NHMRC webpage use menu on left side webpage and scroll down to relevant item**
- Funding Rules: All Schemes and Scheme Specific [applicants must refer to both]
- Advice and Instructions to Applicants: All Schemes and Scheme Specific [applicants must refer to both]
- Grant Proposal template - mandatory use (updated template - download from NHMRC website)
- Important information for applicants including key changes
- Guide to Peer Review: All Schemes and Scheme Specific [applicants must refer to both]
- Advice to Applicants on choosing their Peer Review Area **NEW**
- Project Category Grant Descriptors (Att A)
- Project Grant Assessment Criteria (Att B)
- Project Grants Indigenous Category Descriptors/Assessment Criteria (Att C)
- Project/Program Grant Eligibility Rules (Att D)
- Indigenous Research Excellence Criteria - see Section 6.3 of Funding Rules
- Project Grant Peer Review Guidelines
- Peer Review Application Budget Guidelines (Att G)
- Important Peer Review Information (includes Rebuttal periods)
- Grantspersonship NHMRC project grants: Tips and Hints
- Budget mechanism for funding commencing 2018
- Direct Research Costs Guidelines (DRCs)
- Research Classification Guides
- RGMS Character Count online tool
- RGMS Offline Forms (RIC will only review online via RGMS)
- Presentation on Assessor Reports and Preparing an Applicant Response 2017
- UoM Authority to Submit Form
- Recommended wording for CI & AI written consent
- RIC Submissons Procedure (Project Grant specific)
- Copies of previous successful Project Grant applications can be accessed via UOM login in the RIC Grants Library. Applicants without UOM login should contact RIC staff via email to request copies.
- Information Seminar (requires UOM login) [will be uploaded once seminar recording is available]
- NHMRC GRP Observers Top Tips presentation (requires UOM login)
- MDHS Top Tips from 2016 NHMRC Grant Review Panels - download from MDHS Intranet (login required). Applicants without MDHS login should contact MDHS Faculty staff via email to request copy.
- Faculty Grant Coordinators/Mentors
- RIC NHMRC Project Grant Information Session 2017
- Questions and primary email
|Anne Coco||+61 3 8344 8265|
|Sophie Cleaves||+61 3 9035 4878|