- Wednesday 18 January 2017
Applications open in RGMS
- Monday 13 February 2017
1st Internal date for review by RIC (13 - 15 Feb)
- Thursday 2 March 2017
Final submission due to RIC
*Changes to CDF for funding in 2018*
* Career Development Fellowships Scheme Specific Funding Rules, Section 5 Eligibility - Clarification provided on which date to use for PhD pass (section 5.1)
*Information relevant to an applicant’s Research Supervision and Mentoring track record will now be entered directly into RGMS, not on a separate template to upload.
**Co-Funding: Please note that the Heart Foundation Instructions to Applicants and Application are yet to be released on the Heart Foundation as the 2017 Future Leader Fellowship round is yet to open. RIC will update this page with the relevant correspondence once it becomes available. If applying to the Heart Foundation in a co funding capacity, please view the information below under 'How to apply' - item 7. Instructions and application forms can be found below in the supporting documents section.
Career Development Fellowships (CDFs) are highly competitive, four year fellowships that recognise and provide support for the most outstanding early to mid-career health and medical researchers in each Fellowship category. CDFs can be applied for at one of two levels depending on the applicant’s career stage – CDF Level 1 or CDF Level 2.
The specific objectives of the CDF scheme are to enable investigators to establish themselves as independent, self-directed researchers; expand capacity for clinical, population health, biomedical and bioinformatics research, and for evidence-based policy development in Australian health systems; encourage the translation of research outcomes into practice; bridge the gap between research and industry; and provide a means for Australian researchers working overseas to return to Australia to continue their career development.
Research, Innovation & Commercialisation (RIC) has a Submission Procedure for Major ARC/NHMRC Grants Rounds. Please review the scheme specific details prior to submitting your application as it will be strictly adhered to.
How to apply
Submit a Notice of Intent (NOI)
The NOI should be completed early to provide RIC with CIA contact details.
Complete/update RGMS Profile and CV
The CIA will need to obtain access to RGMS to complete this step.
Review the funding documents
The CIA should read both the generic and scheme specific NHMRC Funding Rules and Advice and Instructions to Applicants which can be found on the NHMRC website, as well as review the UOM Lodgement Coversheet and UOM Authority to Submit form.
Complete draft application in RGMS
Complete the draft application in RGMS. Ensure you enter 'The University of Melbourne' as the Administering Institution.
Email a draft application to RIC
Submit your draft application to RIC by email for review. A hardcopy is not required.
- Use the ‘Request Latest Snapshot Report’ function in RGMS.
- Email two snapshot reports, the draft Grant Proposal (as a PDF) and other relevant attachments. A UOM Authority to Submit form is not required at this stage. Confirm whether Gold/Silver review required - refer to Submissions Procedure for details of different levels of service.
- RIC will send an email upon receipt.
Complete the application after feedback
Complete application in RGMS after taking feedback into consideration. Applicants should also seek advice from colleagues and Faculty Mentors before finalising the application.
**Applying for Heart Foundation co-funding?
If 'YES', the electronic copy of the Heart Foundation application form must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org as a word DOC with the email subject header “CDF NHMRC/HF CO FUNDING FINAL”. Please ensure that all signatures have been completed except for 'Verification by Research Office', which will be arranged by our office prior to submitting to Heart Foundation. This must be submitted before the Authority to Submit form is submitted to our office.
Certify the application in RGMS
Certify the application via the ‘CI Certification’ function in RGMS. Snapshot reports will be automatically generated, please wait for these to be produced. The application will be locked once certified and status then will be Submitted to RAO.
Submit the UOM Authority to Submit form
CIA to submit a fully completed UOM Authority to Submit form to RIC by email (*NEW PROCESS*) before 5pm Thursday 2 March 2017. The form should be one PDF document and should include:
- Completed compliance and eligibility section
- Signature of the CIA and Head of Department/Institute Director.
A hardcopy of the RGMS application is not required.
Note that this is an NHMRC requirement and the application cannot be submitted to NHMRC until RIC receives this form.
RIC will submit the application
Once the application has been submitted to NHMRC, the CIA will receive RGMS notification
*To access documentation on NHMRC webpage use menu on left side webpage and scroll down to relevant item*
- NHMRC CDF Fellowship webpage
- Funding Rules - All Schemes and CDF scheme specific (must refer to both)
- Advice and Instructions to Applicants - All Schemes and CDF Scheme Specific (must refer to both)
- Grant Proposal Template (download from NHMRC webpage - mandatory use)
- Career Disruption Evidence (Letter from Employer template)
- Peer Review Guidelines: All Schemes and CDF Scheme Specific (must refer to both)
- Indigenous Research Excellence Criteria - see Section 6.3 of Funding Rules
- CDF Category Descriptors
- CDF Statement of Expectations
- RGMS Character Count online tool
- RGMS Offline Forms (review via RGMS entry only)
- RGMS User Guides
- Research Classification Guides
- Co-Funded Career Development Fellowships Co-Funding Partners
- **Co Funding (Heart Foundation) Application form (to follow), Instructions to Applicants (to follow), Heart Foundation Future Fellowship webpage
- Questions and primary email
- Anna Giannios
- T: +61 3 8344 2608