- 21 July 2017
- 31 October 2017
- December 2017
Notification of outcomes
The McCoy Project will be offering two PhD Scholarships to commence in 2018, to be broadly allocated equally between the HASS and STEM disciplines. To award the scholarships, the McCoy Project is seeking expressions of interest from joint-supervisors from the University of Melbourne and Museum Victoria with PhD research projects that align with the objectives of the McCoy Project and its research themes:
- Understanding the Present through Collections
- Contemporary Museums – their Value, Philosophy and Role
- Communicating Research: Teaching and Learning for Schools and Communities through Museums and Collections
- Science and Indigenous Cultures
- Exploring the natural world
However, consideration will also be given to project proposals that fall outside these themes. Proposals that cross traditional discipline boundaries will be viewed favourably.
The Scholarships are Strategic Australian Postgraduate Awards (STRAPAs). The STRAPA scholarships will be awarded under the same conditions and benefits as the Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) and include a $5,000 top-up to support project-related expenditure. All overhead and resources costs for the student are to be borne by the School/Faculty. This opportunity is offered to domestic students only.
For the research project to be eligible for consideration, it must:
- Be aligned with the McCoy Project Themes
- Be original research that preferably crosses traditional discipline boundaries
- Have a Principal Supervisor from the University of Melbourne and a collaborating supervisor from Museum Victoria
If a project is awarded a scholarship, the supervisors will need to nominate a student. For a student to be eligible for consideration they must meet the requirements of the APA scholarship scheme. For more information please see the guidelines and application form on the supporting documents section.
Other McCoy funding schemes
The McCoy Project also offers seed funding for pilot projects that align with the objectives of the McCoy Project and its research themes. Please see the McCoy Seed Fund page for application forms and guidelines.
How to apply
Supervisors must consult with the appropriate supervisors and/or heads of departments at both the University and Museum Victoria, about their proposed STRAPA project and ensure that they have the time and resources to undertake the project.
All EOI applications must also be submitted by email using the 2018 McCoy PhD Scholarship Scheme Expression of Interest Form with attachments. These are to be emailed as a single file (pdf or Word doc), named in this format: [SURNAME]-McCoyPhD-2017. Applications are to be submitted to: email@example.com
- 2018 McCoy PhD Scholarship Scheme Guidelines
- 2018 McCoy PhD Scholarship Scheme Expression of Interest Form
- McCoy Seed Fund questions and primary email