- August 2017
Funding rules for 2019 released
- 8 January 2018
Proposals open in RMS
RIC ARC DECRA Seminar
- 5 February 2018
Eligibility Exemption Request due to RIC (if applicable)
- Submission Period 13 - 15 February 2018
Submit review ready application to RIC
- 26 February 2018
Request not to assess due to RIC
- 28 February 2018
Request not to assess due to ARC
- 8 March 2018
Final Application Submission due to RIC
- 14 March 2018
Final Applications due to ARC
Rejoinders due to RIC in RMS by 5pm
- October 2017
Discovery Early Career Researcher Awards (DECRA) supports early career researchers who have typically received their PhD in the last five years or have eligible commensurate career disruption.
The DECRA scheme aims to:
- Support excellent basic and applied research by early career researchers;
- Advance promising early career researchers and promote enhanced opportunities for diverse career pathways;
- Enable research and research training in high quality and supportive environments;
- Expand Australia's knowledge base and research capability; and
- Enhance the scale and focus of research in the Science and Research Priorities.
The scheme provides funding for up to 200 projects per round. Funding is awarded by the ARC of up to $140,858 per annum for three years, with a per annum salary contribution of $100,858 including 30 per cent on-costs and up to $40,000 project costs per annum. Project costs can be used to hire research
assistants, support HDR students, or fund equipment, consumables, Field Research, Travel, and dissemination costs. See section D of the Funding Rules for more information.
ACTIVE PROJECTS AND ACTIVE PROJECT ASSESSMENT DATE
Active Projects mean a Project that is receiving funding according to the terms of the original Funding Agreement, or has any carryover funds approved by the ARC, or an approved variation to the Project’s end date. Therefore if a project has carried forward any funding and the end date has changed, the NEW end date determines an active project. Active projects can be viewed via the applicants RMS profile by selecting Person Profile > Current ARC Projects> end date.
The ARC will calculate active projects as at the closing time of submission of Proposals (and may calculate this rule again as other scheme rounds’ announcements are made and End of Year Reports are submitted.)
The new term Active Project Assessment Date (the date on which Active Project eligibility will be considered), has been introduced into the Definitions, and referenced at subsections A6.1 and A6.2. This is a scheme-specific date that nominates the date when Project and Proposal limit eligibility is assessed by the ARC.
|Scheme||Funding Commencement Date||Active Project Assessment Date||Example 1|
|DECRA 2019||1-Jan-19||1-Jul-19||DECRA candidates can apply for a DE19 while holding two DP16s with Project end dates prior to 1 July 2019. However, they cannot start the DE19 until at least one of the DP16s has been completed, one DP16 has been relinquished or their role on one DP16 has been relinquished in order to meet the limit of one Discovery Program Project and one Fellowship.|
SELECTION CRITERIA - new weighting
The new criteria weighting is as followed:
- Proposed Project Quality and Innovation: 35% (new weighting)
- DECRA candidate: 40% (new weighting)
- Feasibility: 10%
- Benefit and Collaboration: 15%
REQUEST NOT TO ASSESS
Please note the addition of the new Rule relating to ARC College of Experts members:
A8.5.3 If the Administering Organisation names a current ARC College of Experts member, as listed on the ARC website at the time of submitting the Request Not to Assess form, the request must be accompanied by comprehensive evidence justifying the request for the ARC College of Experts member or members named. If the ARC considers the evidence is not sufficient for the named ARC College of Experts member or members, the ARC may reject the request.
Establishment Grants for ARC DECRA
Establishment Grants are internal grants to support ARC DECRA applicants at the University of Melbourne. Please refer to the establishment grant page for details.
How to apply
Submit a Notice of Intent (NOI)
The NOI should be completed early to provide RIC with DECRA candidate contact details.
Update RMS profile
Review the DECRA Funding Rules and the Instructions to Applicants. These documents are available under the Supporting documents tab.
Complete the draft application
Log on to RMS to complete the draft application.
Work on the Strategic Statement in respect of the Research Environment with your supervisor and department/faculty. The Head of Department must certify the Strategic Statement Coversheet before submission to RIC.
Eligibility Exemption Request
If applicable, complete the Eligibility Exemption Request form. This is a spreadsheet that details career interruptions for applicants whose PhD was awarded prior to 1 March 2013.
This form must be sent to email@example.com by 5 February 2018 so that RIC can arrange for the DVC(R) to certify eligibility.
Submit 'Review ready' application to RIC
See the Major Grant Rounds Submission Procedure document for information on review ready applications for Gold and Silver Service.
Submit application to RIC firstname.lastname@example.org within the RIC internal submission period. Include the following:
- An electronic copy of the complete review ready draft application (PDF downliaded from RMS)
- Specify whether you are requesting Gold or Silver Service
- An electronic copy (i.e. Microsoft Word document) of the Strategic Statement, using the template letterhead provided.(NOTE: Applicants from MDHS, Arts and Science should submit Strategic Statement to their Faculty)
- D2 Strategic Statement coversheet, signed by Head of Department/School (NOTE: For applicants from Arts and Science, this certification will be arranged by your Faculty Research Office).
- If applicable, the applicant should include an electronic copy of the Request Not to Assess form if they would like to request the exclusion of a potential assessor.
Tip: Section G1, 'Research support for all participants', is necessary for every applicant, even when no other research funding is held. The current DE18 application must be included, and if you are requesting an Establishment Grant, this should also be listed.
RIC staff members will review the application and provide the applicant with feedback via email. For Gold service, two staff members will review the application. For Silver service, it will be reviewed by one person.
Complete the application
After taking feedback from the RIC team into consideration, complete the application in RMS. It is suggested advice is sought from colleagues, Faculty Mentors, etc. before finalising the application.
Submit the UOM Authority to Submit form
The form must be submitted to RIC via email to email@example.com before 5:00pm on the final internal closing date. This form should include:
- Complete the compliance and eligibility section
- Signature of all CIs and PIs
- Signature of the Head of Department for each CI
- Signature of the CEO (or delegate) for all Australian-based PIs
Electronic signatures are permitted.
This is an ARC requirement and the application cannot be submitted to ARC until received.
Before 5:00pm on the final internal Closing date, the applicant must:
- Submit final application by clicking ‘Submit to Research Office’ in RMS
- Email RIC (firstname.lastname@example.org) a pdf copy of the final application and a scanned, signed Authority to Submit form
Note: Applications without a completed Authority to Submit form cannot be submitted to the ARC
RIC will submit the application
Once the application has been submitted to ARC, you will receive an email from RIC confirming submission.
A 'review ready' draft application
- RMS Profile for personnel
- Section A - Admin Summary
- Section B - Classifications/ Statistical Info
- Section C - Personnel and ROPE
- Section D - Include DECRA Candidate and Management of Data. The completed draft may exclude the Aims and Background/ Project Quality and Innovation/ Feasibility and Benefit.
- Section D2 - Strategic Statement
- Section D3 and D4 - Medical Research Statement
- SectionD5 - Objectives
- Section E - Project Cost
- Section F - Budget Justifications
- Section G - Research Support and Statements of Progress
- The ARC DECRA website
- Funding Rules for DECRA commencing in 2019 NEW!
- Summary of Major Changes to Funding Rules NEW!
- Cross Scheme Eligibility FAQs
- Instructions to Applicants and FAQs
- ARC Medical Research Policy
It is important that you review this definition if your proposal is aimed at understanding or treating a human disease or health condition. If you are still unsure, please seek advice from colleagues/mentors.
- ARC Request Not to Assess form
- Draft Funding Agreement
- ARC College of Experts
- Australian Government Science and Research Priorities
- Notice of Intent (NOI)
Preparing a DECRA application:
- RIC DECRA 2018 Information Seminar slides ***NOTE: This version was updated 21 Feb 2017. The previous document contained outdated references to selection criteria***
- 2018 DECRA seminar (1/02/2017 recording)
- Grants Library of Successful Applications (Uni Login Required)
- DECRA19 Drafting Guide NEW! 5/10/2017
- RIC DE18 Authority to Submit Form (UoM login required. Please email email@example.com if you require a copy)
- RIC Eligibility Exemption Form. This is to be completed where an applicant's PhD was awarded prior to 1 March 2013. NEW! 6/09/2017
- 2018 Strategic Statement Coversheet to be signed by the Head of Department/School
- 2018 DECRA D2 Strategic Statement Guide
- 2018 D2 Template Letterhead
- 2018 DECRA Applicant Guide Updated 7/2/2017
- 2018 Salary Scales and Budget Preparation Spreadsheet Updated 10/2/2017 to include Admin Org contributions
- Question F1 Budget Justification template Update 8/2/2017
- Part G Research Support template
- RIC Top Ten Tips for DE18 eligibility
- Information on how to complete Management of Data in section D1.
External applicants please note: If you require access to documents requiring a UoM login, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rejoinder fact sheet
- Rejoinder information session slides 14 June 2017
- Rejoinder Information session 2018 Seminar June 14 2017
- DECRA questions and primary email
|Veronica Loew||+61 3 8344 8236|
|Angela Baklavas||+61 3 8344 2018|